Cheap/easy surfacing for drive

,

depends how deep. Here I think the man moles every 5-8 years subsoils every 2-3 and does a surface breakup every year.

Whatever, it never puddles on the field., Only where the tractors run up and down. THAT is beyond belief compacted.

Might suggest he ploughs that up one year. Or throws down some hardcore

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or even a quarter...

Recent developments in arable production point towards *minimal cultivation* as the cheapest way of maintaining soil fertility. Soils other than heavy clays are cultivated to a depth of only a few inches to incorporate organic matter from the preceding crop. Humus and bacterial activity is concentrated where it can be best used by the following crop.

Deep subsoiling to remove compaction and enhance water penetration is a separate operation and may only be necessary along tramlines.

The use of baled straw for power generation ties in with the reduction in returned organic material and leads to the increased application of phosphate and potash in mineral form.

*Cross compliance* is waved over the heads of land managers taking the CAP shilling and not observing the rules. There is no court of appeal.
Reply to
Tim Lamb

That is certainly the modern trend, but it does depend on the area though... older towns often had combined sewers that were fed from both foul and surface drains.

Our previous place had separate sewers for foul and surface water.

Reply to
John Rumm

Not just that, but several plots I know of around here used to be fairly wet and were drained before being sold on to builders. The hapless occupiers of the new, expensive houses have no idea what the land used to be like - at least they won't, until those drains block up, and that's almost guaranteed to happen some time. These weren't on what you would normally think of as a flood plain, being nowhere near a river or pond or other natural feature you'd be wary of - just flat land that was fed rainwater from nearby slightly higher land in times of heavy rainfall. Before the drainage, I passed the area many times after several days of heavy rain and would see the fields a foot deep in water. I wouldn't want to be living there.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

is the best place to look for information. You may find it better to use soil in the honeycomb and sow something like chamomile which doesn't need cutting rather than shingle which eventually spreads everywhere.

Reply to
Peter Parry

We have gravel over tarmac hard standing in front of our house. I'd never have gravel again. The list of reasons why is very long ...

Reply to
Huge