Cheap but reliable interior PIR domestic light switch?

For some years I have been using a PIR light switch in my hall and on my landing to make the lights come on only when movement is detected. These things seem to have a short life. The last ones, I bought from Maplins but they lasted about two years. The components seem to give out often before the fuse blows if there's a power surge, it seems. Recently, the one on the landing and the one in the hall both went belly-up simultaneously.
So I'm looking for a source of these again - especially a type that is known to be long-lasting. Anyone know of any? 25 a piece is my limit...
Thanks
Ally
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 20:25:01 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@go.com (Ally) assembled some random characters on their keyboard which said:

Just a thought, you don't have one of those low energy bulbs in the fitting do you? They don't work well with triac controlled switches/dimmers.
Colin M

On the other hand, filament bulbs short circuit when they blow, which can destroy sensitive electronics. If the PIR is rated for a suitable inductive load (v. likely) and works (i.e. has a neutral or otherwise doesn't rely on trickle current), then it may last longer with a low energy bulb than with a filament type.
Christian.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ST3100.html
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com