Chasing copper pipe into bathroom wall

I'm about to do this to the water feed to my electric shower, at the mo it is coming down the wall and gets alot of condensation will that be a problem when buried in the wall?

Reply to
Howard

Cold pipes are best boxed with an air gap if you can. Something like a channel in the wall with a gap on either side to the plaster so they don't touch. Then cover with a sheet of plywood sunk in to keep the whole surface level again. An air gap around the pipe is best, but if that isn't possible, then just burying and plastering over is the only other alternative and doesn't do to much harm if tiled over really.

Reply to
BigWallop

What about filling the channel with expanding foam, then filling with plaster over the top? Would the insulation cure the condensation?

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

As long as the insulation doesn't allow the damp to creep to the plaster surfaces, then yes, it probably would be OK. An air gap is the best solution though, as the air flow can also help in allowing the condensation to escape by dissipation up, or down, the air channel around the pipework.

Reply to
BigWallop

condensation

I understand it is best to avoid burying copper pipes in cement, as it corrodes the pipes. Plaster should be OK. Wrapping the pipe in Denso tape before plastering might be a good idea too.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

Or use plastic pipes? (admittedly less neat at the ends)

Reply to
Newshound