Charging battery in situ

The boss in local battery centre says it's ok to connect neg charger lead to neg terminal on battery.

However, car's user manual suggests connecting to somewhere on the chassis. This can be a pain, getting a good connection. Any thoughts TIA.

Reply to
Bertie Doe

I've always done the former, except where the battery is inaccessible, then the latter. IMNHO, it makes little or no difference.

Reply to
Huge

assuming it is a normal car then connecting direct to the battery will be ok. the only good reason to make a remote connection is if you make the remote connection last to connect and first to disconnect, this way any possible spark as you connect/disconnect will be remote from the battery which may have given off some flammable fumes.

Modern chargers do not usually make any sparks upon connection in any case. It is still good practise to turn off the charger before disconnecting.

Reply to
MrCheerful

With mine the battery is in the boot under the spare tyre, so for jump starting they provide a +ve terminal behind a flap under the bonnet, there is also an arrow pointing at a nearby bolt in the chassis for the -ve.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Audi? My RS3 was like that.

Reply to
Huge

Yes, and re: the lidaldi jump pack thread, it's rated 100Ah 900CCA.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I don't see the reason for using the chassis unless testing the earth, but you don't need a charger for that!

I actually built a charger many moons back and believe me its better on the battery. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I persume the idea is to reduce current if anything shorts, thus avoiding fire.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Chassis or terminal .. makes no diff as long as car is -ve earth

I like to keep my boat batteries on trickle charge .. I made up a lead to connect via 'cigarette socket' ... works fine

Reply to
rick

Don't think earthing polarity has anything to do with. If you make a spark near a charging battery you risk igniting the hydrogen. Considerably less risk with "sealed" batteries admittedly.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Thanks all, good news indeed, consensus is that battery dealer is correct and is ok to connect direct to -ve terminal. Perhaps Toyota are covering their asses.

Reply to
Bertie Doe

I use one of those Aldi/Lidl chargers mentioned by this group last year. It goes into 'maintenance cycle' after initial boost.

It's also used on my 85ah battery, which powers one of those Bison electric outboard motors and lasts about 45 mins. I was surprised to find that the Yaris battery is a mere 45ah.

Reply to
Bertie Doe

I built one in to the old Rover. In the spare wheel well. With a waterproof mains plug under the bumper. Only slight snag is you have to press the button on it to set it to charge after powering up.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

With a battery charger? Don't think even the very cheapest I've ever seen was devoid of some form of protection against shorts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OT but one of the main differences beween the Lidl and Aldi models were the displays (LCD vs LED)

I assume my Aldi XS model is LED, yes? :-

Lidl Ultimate

Bertie Doe

no that is a liquid crystal display. LED shines.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Ah thanks for that MC. So the 'backlit' lidl Ultimate is LED.

Reply to
Bertie Doe

No, that is just an LCD with a backlight, the backlight is very likely an LED.

Reply to
MrCheerful

That of course offers no protection against the leads wearing through and shorting.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

my old style battery charger has an overload thermal manual reset switch, modern ones just shut down electronically (if the leads short together)

I dread to think what the 600 amp Crypton jump start charger could do, but the average DIYer does not have one.

Reply to
MrCheerful