Channel 5 looking for the worst DIYer in Britain

Page 3 of 3

One day we realised that we hadn't watched it for three months so we didn't renew the licence and got rid of the set.
My life's too precious to spend time sitting in front of a screen all night ...
Ahem.
Mary (we don't miss the telly)
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 21:52:17 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

Now you have to spend time fending of TVL as they try to pester you into buying a licence because a) you had one before and *no one* gets rid of their telly and b) *every one* has a telly.

Erm yersss, but I don't need a licence for this one, yet. B-)
In fact tonight is the first time I've sat and watched a couple of programmes for ages(*). Ch4 Wild Children followed by the News (I fell asleep during the news...)
(*) Months, not days or weeks.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

If you have any type of working receiver, you need a licence. The possible exception is where a TV set is being used purely as a monitor to display something that isn't of broadcast origination.
--
*Real men don't waste their hormones growing hair

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:34:07 +0000, Witchy wrote:

A TV card is a "receiver" it needs a licence, I don't think there is anything grey there at all.
Now how about Windows Media Player watching the 10 O'clock news over the web? That is very grey, all modern PCs have that abilty do they need a TV licence?
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:10:39 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"

I was more going after the 'can they prove it' bit - they turn up at your house and you've got no telly but a dismantled PC in an upstairs bedroom. Are they going to make you put it together to prove there's a TV card in there?

And listening to r1/r2/r3/r4 etc. -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs

But you don't need a licence for receiving sound radio. My conscience is clear on that.
Mary

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:16:34 +0000, Witchy wrote:

No they'll just look for the one(s) with big screening cans on. They will either be a TV card or wireless LAN... How ever you then enter the same argument about a TV "stored, unused" in the spare bedroom.

No licence required to listen to "the wireless".
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 21:39:12 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"

'Rah, then I'll get my telly by the same means :oD -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs
<snip>

No, due to being 'narrowcast' and not a 'broadcast' IYSWIM ?