Channel 5 looking for the worst DIYer in Britain

Page 2 of 3
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:16:32 -0000, Owain wrote:

You 'ad 'n 'ole! 'Eck, we us'd t' dr'm of 'avin' a 'ole.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

in.
Wot's a road?
Wot's a 'ole?
Mary
What

I think most of the people I have bought houses from in the past should be in the running.
As a minor example a recent check of the rewirable fuses in the CU of my new house showed that most of them had been rewired with 2.5mm copper wire!!
On 13 Dec 2003 17:06:52 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@mxf.org.uk (Matt Beard) wrote:

A Darwin award beckons for that one!
PoP
Stops the fuse blowing .........
On 13 Dec 2003 17:06:52 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@mxf.org.uk (Matt Beard) wrote:

Hello BigWallop

Nice to see they're continuing to stretch the boundaries of top quality television...
<mutter>
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK

You sure it's not "DIYers from Hell"? Or maybe "Britain's 100 Worst DIY Moments"?
David
Did you see the program about DIY heath issues, some guy chopped his arm off with a radial saw, the floorboard he intended to cut was just the right length.
He didn't try DIY microsurgery.
Rick
On 14 Dec 2003 09:39:32 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Lobster) wrote:

On 14 Dec 2003 09:39:32 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Lobster) wrote:

Nope, Quentin Willson (who up until now I had respect for) is now touting for 'britain's worst DIY-ers'
sold himself up the river I think? -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs
Witchy wrote:

A few months back they were looking for nominations but hadn't got a frontman attached, now it looks like they're getting desparate and need a name to hang the show on.
--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk /
James Hart wrote:

I thought they had already found it! A few months ago in the UK press over the internet, a case in Kent IIRC (or was it Watford???), where a homeowner had erected veranda and other extension/s to a perfectly ordinary and reasonable house so rickety and with eaves so unlevel/uneven that the neighbours had complained about the safety of the structure, danger to surrounding dwellings and the effect on property values. If I remember correctly even when it eventually went to court, the individual maintained he had the right to do whatever he wanted with the property since he owned it! There were pictures too and 'wot a mess'! We had a similar case here years ago that was eventually stopped by our local council; it was a mess of steel beams against a bank of damp earth (no proper drainage) with an old portable class room perched on top! Right on the main road! Again it was someone, in this case from 'away', thinking that they could erect anyway they wanted. We had precedents; the same individual had done/attempted same thing in two other small local communities/towns and then screamed discrimination (cos he was an immigrant, as am I too incidentally), to Canada) when they had stopped him! No wonder one hears these awful stories about buildings collapsing, extra stories added in an unsafe manner, wiring that is a hazard from the word go, iron bars over what should be safety exits etc. etc. in countries with poor standards/enforcement. Hard way to die! Terry.
"Terry" wrote | No wonder one hears these awful stories about buildings | collapsing, extra stories added in an unsafe manner, wiring | that is a hazard from the word go, iron bars over what should | be safety exits etc. etc. in countries with poor | standards/enforcement.
And then you think of all the illegal immigrants working on construction sites in the UK and wonder just what bodges they get up while building what is going to be somebody's home or workplace ...
Owain
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:56:00 -0000, "James Hart"

Is it any wonder I'm watching telly less and less and less these days. -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs

I agree. I did see a program like this once, and they got the guy, under expert tutilage, to use a power tool. The 'worst diyer' was just an ordinary borderline mental retard, paying no attntion to what he was doing with the tool, kept yapping about unrelated things as he was supposed to be cutting, while he unthinkingly waved the spinning tool about. Anyway, it was completely boring and predictable. The guy was hopeless at the job... so what.
Now Maureen the failed driver has a bit more entertainment value :)
Regards, NT

That sounds like one of my sons in law ...
Mary
Witchy wrote:

There's plenty of good TV about if you look for it, at the moment I'm watching Fred Dibnah.
--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk /

So you couldn't find any good TV either ? :-))
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 20:23:29 -0000, "James Hart"

Does he mind? :o) -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs

Yup - well worth the watching.
--