Channel 5 looking for the worst DIYer in Britain

You sure it's not "DIYers from Hell"? Or maybe "Britain's 100 Worst DIY Moments"?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Rick Dipper

Did you see the program about DIY heath issues, some guy chopped his arm off with a radial saw, the floorboard he intended to cut was just the right length.

He didn't try DIY microsurgery.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Luxury! We had to get light from burning sheep whilst living in our hole in't road, etc.

*descends into Monty Python territory*

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

Nope, Quentin Willson (who up until now I had respect for) is now touting for 'britain's worst DIY-ers'

sold himself up the river I think?

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

A few months back they were looking for nominations but hadn't got a frontman attached, now it looks like they're getting desparate and need a name to hang the show on.

Reply to
James Hart

You had't luxury of sheep to get light ? Why, we had to dig for phosphor stones ti't get light for our hole in't road.

Reply to
BigWallop

press over the internet, a case in Kent IIRC (or was it Watford???), where a homeowner had erected veranda and other extension/s to a perfectly ordinary and reasonable house so rickety and with eaves so unlevel/uneven that the neighbours had complained about the safety of the structure, danger to surrounding dwellings and the effect on property values. If I remember correctly even when it eventually went to court, the individual maintained he had the right to do whatever he wanted with the property since he owned it! There were pictures too and 'wot a mess'! We had a similar case here years ago that was eventually stopped by our local council; it was a mess of steel beams against a bank of damp earth (no proper drainage) with an old portable class room perched on top! Right on the main road! Again it was someone, in this case from 'away', thinking that they could erect anyway they wanted. We had precedents; the same individual had done/attempted same thing in two other small local communities/towns and then screamed discrimination (cos he was an immigrant, as am I too incidentally), to Canada) when they had stopped him! No wonder one hears these awful stories about buildings collapsing, extra stories added in an unsafe manner, wiring that is a hazard from the word go, iron bars over what should be safety exits etc. etc. in countries with poor standards/enforcement. Hard way to die! Terry.

Reply to
Terry

Is it any wonder I'm watching telly less and less and less these days.

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

"BigWallop" wrote | > >Must have been dark in your 'ole then, wool won't burn. | > Luxury! We had to get light from burning sheep whilst living | > in our hole in't road, etc. | You had't luxury of sheep to get light ? Why, we had to dig for | phosphor stones ti't get light for our hole in't road.

Us were so poor, didn't even have a road to dig a 'ole in.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Terry" wrote | No wonder one hears these awful stories about buildings | collapsing, extra stories added in an unsafe manner, wiring | that is a hazard from the word go, iron bars over what should | be safety exits etc. etc. in countries with poor | standards/enforcement.

And then you think of all the illegal immigrants working on construction sites in the UK and wonder just what bodges they get up while building what is going to be somebody's home or workplace ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I agree. I did see a program like this once, and they got the guy, under expert tutilage, to use a power tool. The 'worst diyer' was just an ordinary borderline mental retard, paying no attntion to what he was doing with the tool, kept yapping about unrelated things as he was supposed to be cutting, while he unthinkingly waved the spinning tool about. Anyway, it was completely boring and predictable. The guy was hopeless at the job... so what.

Now Maureen the failed driver has a bit more entertainment value :)

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

You 'ad 'n 'ole! 'Eck, we us'd t' dr'm of 'avin' a 'ole.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Dave Liquorice" wrote | Owain wrote: | >|>> Must have been dark in your 'ole then, wool won't burn. | >|> Luxury! We had to get light from burning sheep whilst living | >|> in our hole in't road, etc. | >| You had't luxury of sheep to get light ? Why, we had to dig for | >| phosphor stones ti't get light for our hole in't road. | > Us were so poor, didn't even have a road to dig a 'ole in. | You 'ad 'n 'ole! 'Eck, we us'd t' dr'm of 'avin' a 'ole.

No us di'n' 'ave 'n 'ole! Us di'n' 'ave a road to dr'm of 'avin' a 'ole in.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

There's plenty of good TV about if you look for it, at the moment I'm watching Fred Dibnah.

Reply to
James Hart

So you couldn't find any good TV either ? :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

Wot's a road?

Wot's a 'ole?

Mary

What

Reply to
Mary Fisher

One day we realised that we hadn't watched it for three months so we didn't renew the licence and got rid of the set.

My life's too precious to spend time sitting in front of a screen all night ...

Ahem.

Mary (we don't miss the telly)

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That sounds like one of my sons in law ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Now you have to spend time fending of TVL as they try to pester you into buying a licence because a) you had one before and *no one* gets rid of their telly and b) *every one* has a telly.

Erm yersss, but I don't need a licence for this one, yet. B-)

In fact tonight is the first time I've sat and watched a couple of programmes for ages(*). Ch4 Wild Children followed by the News (I fell asleep during the news...)

(*) Months, not days or weeks.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice