changing wire fuses to screwfix mcbs

i am planning to change my old wire type fuses to the mcbs available from screwfix.the ones which you simply exchange for the old fuse without having to replace the cu. has anybody used these ? are they any good or would it be more advisable to change the whole cu? thanks for any comments
On 18 Nov 2003 23:52:51 -0800, all snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk (mark al) wrote:

I would change the whole CU. The cost of a CU plus incomer and an RCD is pretty small and then everything is new.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

They are much better than the wire fuses. However, it is more advisable to replace the whole CU. OTOH, if you don't fancy replacing the CU, then it is much better to replace the fuses than leave alone. If you replace the CU, you can use RCBOs or a split load unit, which will make the installation much safer still.
Christian.

If you don't replace the CU, at least have a good look at the old one. The spring contacts can develop high resistance, resulting in heating and damage to the insulating material supporting the contacts and insulation on the cable. If there's any sign of this, you must replace the CU. Also I would slightly slacken off and retighen all the connection screws to ensure good contact is maintained over time.
--
Andrew Gabriel

all snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk (mark al) wrote in message

yes
yes
depends what youre trying to achieve. Why are you replacing your fuses?
Regards, NT
all snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk (mark al) wrote in message

You need to be aware that not all re-wirable fuses are mechanically compatible with these MCBs. I bought one of these MCBs just to check the idea out and found that it had a different prong arrangement and would not fit into either a 1930s style C.U., a 1960s style C.U. or a 1980s style C.U.
CRB

Ouch. The places for a 1930s CU is in a museum. Probably insulated with cardboard, or sheet of lasagne or something. They didn't really have much in the way of plastics then.
Christian.
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:20:26 -0000, "Christian McArdle"

Bakelite was around then.
As an aside, there's plenty of houses here (Ireland) still wired with an old pattern Siemens fusebox which I'm pretty sure has its origins in the 30s or even earlier. Round ceramic fuseholding caps with replaceable cartridges screwed into ceramic bodies.
I recall seeing one of these old fuseholders in a prog about U-boats...
--

Dave

I agree. I replaced it in the mid-80s sometime and just kept it in the garage just in case any of the parts came in useful - which of course they never have (yet).
CRB

I would expect ceramic and wood, and quite possibly still in good nick.
But if the CU is 1930s, what age is the rest of the wiring? Such old kit has usually deteriorated so badly that any electrician seeing it in the 1930s would have condemned it then, let alone judging it by todays standards.
Regards, NT
mark al wrote:

Yes - replaced the ones in my 1980 build house when it was new. They're still fine....

They work as well as any mcb, much more convenient than fuses.

If you want other facilities like more circuits or split load the change the CU. Otherwise if its in good condition don't change it.