changing type of hinges on PVCu window

I have a PVCu casement window fitted with the "easy-clean" hinges where the window ends up in the middle of the opening when fully open. It is on the ground floor and I would prefer the window to hinge near the edge so there is a larger amount of open space. I think I need to replace with "egress" hinges. I think the hinge says "cotswold" on it - need to double check. Is it a simple matter of getting the correct hinges and screwing on ? The profiles are rehau on this window.

Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

We specified egress hinges throughout recently. Such hinges can in fact also be manually defeated so the window can be made to end up in the same position (roughly) as with the easy-clean ones. Obviously, one only does this when wanting to clean them.

I'd suggest checking with a local reputable double-glazing company as to whether such hinges could be changed. Not one of the big guys, they'll just try to sell you a new window. A small company could advise, perhaps supply the hinges, or fit them if you didn't want to be bothered.

I just checked on our windows, looks like the whole hinge should be unscrewable from the frame and window without too much trouble.

Reply to
Tim Streater

've bought replacement hinges from these people several times. I'm not sure they do what you require but they're hinges and they work. When replacing them, you need to specify the length, the width, usually 18mm and the stack height, which is the height from the base to the top blade of the hinge, which is either

13 or 17mm. They are easy enough to fit, especially on a ground floor, though you may need a help-mate. whilst you mark the screw positions.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap