Changing to fully pumped CH & DHW

At the moment I have pumped CH and what was gravity DHW but when the replac= ement boiler (Ideal Mexico Super 2) was fitted it made the DHW inefficient = due to the distance from the tank and the run vertually level across the le= ngth of the kitchen wall for about four meters before going up to the tank = in the bathroom above, so the plumber fitted a pump next to the tank to hel= p. It's been like this now for about six years.

Whilst doing another job I found that the heating pipes leave the boiler in= 22mm to the first radiator upstairs then all the rest are in 15mm so in th= e spring I plan on changing this to 22mm to all the radiators with 15mm tai= ls. Whilst doing this I thought about changing the system to a proper fully pum= ped system using two motorized valves and one pump.

What I was thinking of doing was keep the 28mm from the boiler and run this= to a pump then split to two motorized valves then carry on with the origin= al 28mm to tank because it will be a major job to remover the 28mm and repl= ace it with 22mm and from the other valve drop down to 22mm to join up with= the original CH piping. The fill and expansion I will move so they go dire= ct to the boiler on the old CH tapings as it shows on the boiler manual.

Could anybody tell me if this is doable, or a better solution?

Reply to
Trevor Smith

More 22mm may help - then again, are you having difficulties with the current setup not keeping the rads hot enough?

No real advantage in changing for a smaller pipe in this case...

Its doable - the boiler won't have any problem running fully pumped. There are 4 tappings on the heat exchanger, you normally plug two of them for when using fully pumped arrangements.

The pair of two port valves is fine, although it makes it harder it integrate pump overrun, which is well worth doing on a cast iron lump of a boiler like that.

Reply to
John Rumm