Changing tap washer: nut won't budge

Brand new basin taps from Screwfix (Swish contemporary range, conventional rotary operation, not cartridge-type). One of them started dripping immediately after install. I fitted flexible tap connectors, using a hack saw to saw off the old pipe. On first use, the tap spewed out some copper filings..so that's probably the cause. Anyway, I decide to renew the washer. So I removed the tap shroud. But I was then unable to turn the nut that holds the tap internals. I used an adjustable wrench. I held the tap spout with my left hand and tried with some force to turn the nut with my other hand, but it still wouldn't budge. This seems unusual for a brand new tap. Any ideas?

Thanks Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

You can't exert much force that way. Get something locked on to the nut (Mole wrench?) and give the handle a sharp tap with a hammer

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Perhaps better to remove the tap before getting too brutal - otherwise you may damage the basin. Grease the thread before re-assembling.

If removed then a spanner on the hex and then swing it down onto a hard surface (floor) in the right direction should shift it. Avoid moles on the spout.

Reply to
John

The message from "John" contains these words:

Grip the body of the tap in a workmate. Use a proper ring spanner on the nut.

Reply to
Appin