Changing from wireless to wired burglar alarm

I know but for a new installer the wiring instructions would be easier to work with if by the same manufacturer.

Reply to
StealthUK

On 21 Jan 2005 15:31:08 -0800, "StealthUK" strung together this:

1) Quote what you are replying to.

2) Farynuff, but most SAB's come with wiring guides covering all the major panels so no headache there.

Reply to
Lurch

I normally do but google have changed the system around and I've only just noticed that stuff is not automatically quoted.

major panels so no headache there.

Yes most do but that doesn't mean all are covered and it's not going to hurt to buy from the same manufacturer. Okay it's not a big deal but rather that than the OP having to post another thread about how to wire up the bell box.

Reply to
StealthUK

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:13:59 GMT, "BigWallop" strung together this:

Are you actually asking me to prove myself or do you not know?

Briefly,

An SAB is a self contained unit which draws it's power from the control panel for charging, triggering and in activation. It will also continue to power itself if it loses contact with the control panel.

An SCB has exactly the same internals as an SAB but doesn't draw power from the panel upon activation but from it's own internal battery. It only recieves a charge current and trigger signals from the panel.

TFTW?

Reply to
Lurch

On 22 Jan 2005 03:41:53 -0800, "StealthUK" strung together this:

Well, if you can't wire up the sounder you shouldn't be fitting the alarm.

(And by you, I don't mean you as in "StealthUK" specifically, but you as in anyone).

Reply to
Lurch

So what about the TFTW sounder?

Reply to
BigWallop

It is, after all, a DIY NG. I don't think someone should have to dive in at the deep end if they don't need to.

I'm sure there are plenty of ADT engineers (and others) who shouldn't be fitting alarms either but they still get away with it ;-)

Reply to
StealthUK

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:13:58 GMT, "BigWallop" strung together this:

What TFTW sounder?

Reply to
Lurch

On 22 Jan 2005 13:45:20 -0800, "StealthUK" strung together this:

Well, the tone of some posts mean that I don't feel comfortable offering information to people who are obviously incompetent. I don't mind helping someone with a minor problem on a subject which they actually have a clue about.

Hmm, no comment!

Reply to
Lurch

I can see that with something safety related like mains or gas etc, but an alarm?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 09:35:04 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)" strung together this:

As an alarm installer myself I see many badly fitted alarms that don't provide protection and go off at all hours giving the industry a bad name. If it gets done, it gets done properly, which I can tell the OP will have no idea how to do whether I tell him how to or not. Some people seem to think that as an alarm is only 12V then any muppet can fit one, which technically they can, but not properly.

Reply to
Lurch

Oh, I'm perfectly in agreement with you. An alarm system is more complicated and needs more careful installation than most ordinary house wiring due to the smaller cables - it's all to easy to make a poor, in some way, connection. But I'd not discourage anyone from having a go, since there's not a safety element. And I'd certainly agree about the poor standard of installation - and much of it done by pros - although present company is obviously excepted. To make a workmanship job of installing hidden switches and cables etc is extremely time consuming, so in some ways ideal for DIY where the result rather than cost in time matters most.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)