Changing a lamp safely

Have you ever tried setting fire to bamboo?

Reply to
geoff

It's got a good air vent built in, I would have thought it would burn well.

And indeed it does.

Lieutenant Scott

from grass

not quite the same as what was being used for that scaffolding

I'm not saying you can't set fire to it, but mature bamboo is very dense and difficult to set fire to

Reply to
geoff

Is it not hollow?

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Yeah - just like steel scaffolding poles

Reply to
geoff

It does burn and there is a danger of explosion from the air trapped in each of the chambers... Bamboo is not a hollow straw but a stack of sealed cylinders.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

But unlike steel, a good draught of air through the middle should aid combustion.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

If you're working on a building site in India or Bangladesh, bamboo catching fire is so far down the list of health and safety issues that its not even off the starting blocks

Reply to
geoff

More like a little pop.

Lieutenant Scott

They undercut our prices because they don't waste money on health and safety.

We need to ban the word "issue". People are overusing it. It's now a generic term that could mean almost anything. When I were a lad, an issue was one of a series of magazines. Instead of "health and safety issue", try saying "it's sharp", "it's explosive", or "it's slippery".

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Were you a midshipman back then? Or a powder monkey?

Reply to
Tim Streater

It wasn't that long ago we didn't have health and safety madness. I'm 37.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Hmmm, 37, that doesn't get us back to Nelson. So no lash, press gang, or weevils in the biscuit then.

Reply to
Tim Streater

And no springs either.

Lieutenant Scott

Hear hear.

We no longer have problems to be solved we have an issues.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No, it's stacked sealed cylinders not a tube.

Have none of you lot disected a bit of bamboo garden cane?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've never thought of a reason why I would want to do that.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

In my garden in Indonesia, I have bamboo wide enough to make pint pots from

Reply to
geoff

In message , Tim Streater writes

He was talking about his IQ, not his age

Reply to
geoff

In her first job, my daughter was told she wasn't allowed to say 'problem'. She had to say 'issue'!

Barmy...