changeover sw?

SWMBO wants to put a ceiling fan in the conservatory ... one option would be to connect feed from the existing light ...

As it would still need existing light to work ... would therefore need a pull switch with a changeover switch ... posn 1 fan only posn 2 light + fan

Wall switch would provide overall on/off

The fan will have its own remote control so that allows 3rd option of lights only.

Can you get a pull cord change over switch.?

Would be very difficult to get at wiring other than using existing feed.

I know you can get fans with lights ... but that is not what she wants.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Yes - a 2-way pull cord:

Tim Watts

Could you have it as posn 1 light only posn 2 light + fan Then if the new switch was in the circuit after the existing switch and controlled the fan, it would just need to be an on/off switch.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

+1

We used to have one over the bed in our bedroom to provide 2-way switching in conjunction with a wall switch.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Tim/Roger .... cheers guys ... that's what I need.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Very standard item - even B&Q probably have one in stock :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's quite likely that they're *all* made as 2-way for simplicity - and that you then ignore the third connection when using it on a 1-way circuit.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Trust me. They are not all 2 way. Just like 1 gang light switches only 90% of pull switches only need to be operated in a 1 way switching operation.

Reply to
ARW

Fairy Nuff. You should know!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Given that the difference in price is a matter of pence, surely it would make sense for stocking simply to have all 2-way, at least for plates - pull might be less beneficial. Plates are molded for 2-way, so it's just a bit of brass.

Reply to
PeterC

I only ever buy 2 way switches for unknown jobs and for general van stock as just one cockup of needing a 2 way switch but only having a one way switch when you are miles from the wholesalers makes it worth while me spending the extra few pence. It is about 20 pence extra for a 2 way pull switch and about 10 pence for a wall switch.

For known jobs then I often buy what is required.

Take the savings of buying 1 way switches on a second fix of 24 houses that each use 6 x 1 gang 1 way wall switches and 1 x 1 gang pull switch.

Reply to
ARW

Yes - could be getting on for a hundred quid. My house was rewired with 1-way. So far I've had to replace 4 with 2-way and now have a stock of 1-way.

Reply to
PeterC

Well about £20:-). 6 x 10 pence and 1 x 20 pence saving per house = 80 pence. 24 x 0.8 = £19.20. But imaging that you are fitting many thousands of lightwswitches in a year

May I ask why have you had to replace your one way switches with two way switches? You must have had to add new cables to make use of the two way switching.

Cheers

Reply to
ARW

Right, I over-estimated the extra bit for 2-way.

Hall/landing was 1-way to hall on the landing so that was made full 2-way. Bastard of a job - there's still some of my skin on the wall. Bedroom has a secong light fitting by the bed, with pull-switch. Kitchen had single fitting, now has 2 HF 14W tubes, independently switched. Lounge has a wall light added (80 lumen LED for use when TV's on), 2-way by each of the 2 doors.

Reply to
PeterC