Change from TT to TN-S earthing

At the moment, I have two consumer units - one for the usual domestic supply and the other for off-peak heating with each having its own ELCB and earth rod.

About ten years ago, the electricity board fitted a new off-peak timer and unwrapped a perforated strip which was connected [and still is] to the sheathing on the incoming cable, screwed an earthing block to it, and earthed the new timer to that block. I'm a bit hazy on this, but I seem to recall the fitter saying at the time that it was a PME system, but it's connected as TN-S.

I'd like to fit new CUs - one split load with a 30mA RCD, and the other without RCD for the off-peak heating - junk the ELCBs and TT system, and earth to the block that the fitter put in.

A couple of years ago, my neighbour had storage heaters put in by the board and they installed a new CU for him. A couple of weeks later, a different crew turned up to remove his ELCB and re-earth to the incoming cable sheathing.

Is the process as straightforward as that or is there some work that the board needs to do behind the scenes?

Reply to
Ken Sparky

Changing the actual earth connection from your local earth rod to the company supplied earth is probably "as straightforward as that". However there *may* be issues with the sizing of your earth bonding connections as for a PME system the earth bonding requirements are more demanding.

By the way PME is TN-C-S if I remember correctly, not TN-S. It depends whether the earth that the 'electricity company' have supplied is actually their neutral or separate.

TN-C-S 'Common' company earth, i.e. the earth block is connected to their neutral, 'separate' house earth wiring. Supply feed wire will be a single conductor with screen/armour used as neutral/earth.

TN-S 'Separate' company earth and house earth wiring. Supply feed wire will be two core (live and neutral) with screen/armour being just the earth.

Reply to
usenet

And if it's TN-C-S do you really want to change to it. Ours runs at up to

40volts away from the potential of the ground outside, which I found to my shock unfortunately includes the soil below the stone slabs in much of my house.
Reply to
Mike

snipped

Any response from the supplier about this?

I'd be happy with TN-S because I was trying to avoid having to install a 100mA time-delayed RCD which is required with TT earthing.

Reply to
Ken Sparky

Agreed. What I was trying to say was that although the fitter said it was PME, I think it is connected as TN-S. I thought it was TN-S because the earth block is wired to the sheath [but maybe it's not TN-S in view of your definition of TN-C-S using the sheath as the neutral conductor].

Would the sheathing also be likely to be the neutral conductor in a supply cable installed 45 years ago?

How do I find out if the sheath is earth only or earth/neutral combined?

Reply to
Ken Sparky

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:20:43 GMT, sparky snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk (Ken Sparky) strung together this:

Yes and no. If the supplier alters things on the network then a previously TT only supply can become PME.

Ask the supplier. Some TT systems can look as if they might be PME from tests carried out, but actually aren't.

Reply to
Lurch