Chanels on freesat?

Just had the aerial on the top of our block replaced because it wasn't receiving all of the Muxes correctly.

The guy who installed it said that he went to their supplier for the correct group aerial and they refused to supply one telling him that they were not using them any more.

So to make the wideband one work he had to put a larger than expected amp on it :-(

tim

Reply to
tim....

That would depend on what material the channels present, rather than whether or not they're HD.

Reply to
S Viemeister

In article , fred scribeth thus

known as "clutter" buildings and suchlike as well as threes etc all of which make that nice clean earth terrain look anything but.

Good clutter models aren't cheap so you won't find them online...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , MuddyMike scribeth thus

Can you now get that any higher. Generally height is the most important factor in terrestrial TV reception ...

Reply to
tony sayer

But, according to this:

is in September NEXT year ...

Reply to
Terry Casey

In article , Terry Casey writes

Ha! Thanks Terry, saw September and assumed _this_ year. What are those boys doing? A major 500kW transmitter with DSO 14mths away still only pumping out 6/1.5kW digital? I get the impression Yorkshire is a pretty congested area signal wise and they are going a bit cagey.

In summary, sorry Mike you're fookd, FTA satellite is all you've got until next year unless you pay.

Reply to
fred

The power used to operate terrestrial TV transmitters pales into insignificance compared to the power used to launch a satellite into space...

Reply to
funkyoldcortina

should be able to give you a reasonable estimate of what you should receive pre and post switchover by entering your postcode.

If anything, the estimates are a little pessimistic.

Reply to
funkyoldcortina

Not according to numerous articles. Googled and found 2, though I admit they written by interested parties. However, just look how much CO2 is produced by a few terrestial transmitters!! Something that can easily be verified.

Fredxx

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If my memory's correct, the EPG is on a different satellite. So if you had a suitably fancy system you could get it from one LNB and TV while using a second LNB & TV to watch programs.

Reply to
Windmill

How about changing to Freesat, they don't have quite as many channels as freesat, but the reception is great, as you already have a dish for sky all you need is the tuner.

Reply to
Moonraker

I have been using Teleprompter on PC and laptop recently:-

does not explicitly list freesat but by using some channels from the sky listing I have made a reasonable favourites list. A lot quicker than using the two EPGs on the TV - although you still have to go there to mark a recording of course.

Reply to
Geo

But you know that choice. It's the ones that you are not getting that the rest of us do.

tim

Reply to
tim....

Because I already have 200 pounds invested in freeview recorders

tim

Reply to
tim....

Some argue that digital television transmitters produce significantly greater carbon emissions than satellite television systems, because satellites rely on solar power for most of their power and thus provide a greener alternative to expensive terrestrial buildouts. A U.K. trade group, ?UK Space,? estimated in 2006 that just the 50 most powerful analog television transmitters in that country (out of a total of 1,400) required 54 megawatts of electricity, representing a quarter of a million tons of CO2 per year that could be replaced by satellites that essentially use no terrestrial electricity at all.

55 analogue Tx's requiring 54 megawatts?..

Don't quite think so...

Reply to
tony sayer

Probably isn't far off..each transmitter has several; 100KW units, and they aren't 100% efficient.

Of course the energy over say 25 years of a satellites lifetime has to be compared with the energy to put the satellites up in the first place...

And put in the context of the UK population as a whole. where it represents less than a watt per person.

So just turn the lights off, watch Sky, and save the planet.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't think Pye TVT or Marconi ever made more than a 40 kW one at most and those that were .. were very few and far between usually for the USA market..

Remember or did you see that article on the Sudbury transmitter recently when it was a 250 kW ERP analogue one. Two 6.25 kW transmitters used?..

Around 50% efficient but not on the go flat out all the time .. Course the digital ones, valve engined are even more efficient...

And do switch off your Sky box, those on standby do add together for quite a lot of power..

Reply to
tony sayer

Remember that the power output figures quoted TV transmitters are their ERP, not the actual transmitter power (which will usually be many times smaller due to the gain of the aerial).

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup grouped aerials are particularly important for group A and B transmitters - especially in difficult locations.

Indeed - we saw a rise of 19db overnight on the muxes that have just gone full power.

Reply to
John Rumm