Chair repair

I've an old dining chair, elm I think, that's coming apart and I want to know how best to put it back together again. I haven't got much in the way of tools or expertise so I hope it's not too hard.

The legs are splayed out at an angle of about ten degrees, and there's a H-shaped brace to stop them spreading. The legs and braces, which are all round in section, are simply glued into sockets. Over the years one of the legs has come loose, and the resulting strain has made two of the braces come out of their sockets. I guess the sockets were once tight but things have obviously been waggling around for a few years and have been worn into a more round shape than they probably started off.

My first thought is to glue it all back together again but it seems to be asking a lot of glue to hold the braces in place if one of the legs isn't *very* firmly fixed in place under the seat.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Not yet got any but next time I order from Axminster...

Peter Andrews

Mike Barnes used his keyboard to write :

Ordinary PVA wood glue should do the trick. Pull apart any joints which are at all loose. Clean/scrap off the old glue almost down to the wood, so the new glue can penetrate. If any joints are too loose for just the glue alone - mix PVA with saw dust to act as a filler.

You will need to assemble it in one go and it really needs to be clamped tightly together. Lacking clamps it is possible to use loops of

6mm or similar rope, tightened by inserting a stick in the middle of the loop and twisting round until tight - then pegging it to stop it unwinding itself.

Leave for 24 hours tightly clamped.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Otherwise, if you *can* dismantle it and then re-assemble it using PVA glue, that would be better - provided the joints are not *too* slack.

Reply to
Roger Mills (aka Set Square)

Known as a Spanish Windlass.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In my experience epoxy glue (a two part glue like Araldite, but not the rapid setting 5 minute one!)) would be the best glue to use- use liberally to ensure all gaps are filled and make sure all surfaces 'wetted'. Large gaps need filling with wood wedges, care not to bang wedges in and split the wood. Clean up with a cloth dipped in acetone before the glue sets fully (acetone may damage any finish on the wood so use carefully). You could use PVA glue, but I haven't found it much good if there are any traces of old glue in the joint. There is a 'Chair Doctor' glue which you can inject direct into the joint if it is still in one piece, but if very loose I'd be cautious. Francis

Reply to
Ledz

The best thing I've found for such jobs is described by Aldi as "Nail Free Adhesive" They'll have some for sale from 23rd March priced at £ 1.49 per tube (310ml, 48.1p per 100ml) While it cures you can hold the chair together with parcel tape.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack