Chainsaw (petrol) choice

It seems that chainsaws are the topic of choice at the moment.

I have 8 or 10 Lawson Cypress trees to fell and log into open fire sized chunks prior to storage for drying and splitting

My local (Stihl) stockist suggests a Ryobi 4545 as I am unlikely to use this saw again more than once a year.

It just happens to be available from Buy and Queue for £130-ish.

The trunks are no more than 14" in diameter.

Any comments?

TIA

Richard

Reply to
Richard

I love my little 170 quid stihl. The baby one. Still cuts down 24" diameter trees, though it takes its time.

Compared with a cheapo, its got more power in a smaller size.

So far its always started pretty smartly too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Make sure you have done a course on using it safely and have the appropriate safety gear as well. It might well be cheaper to get a professional to do it.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

does what it says on the tin.

Reply to
vortex2

On this great day..Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:34:06 +0100, "Peter Crosland" wrote:

Reply to
Mike

Well, I have the hat, gloves and very sexy open bum overtrousers!

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Which Stihl? Please!

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Brash has all gone to the tip - about a dozen trips by me with the trailer.

I can't even begin to imagine the cost of a pro' felling and logging the trees into 10" lengths.

We were quoted £500 4 years ago to fell and remove the lot without any stump grubbing.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

It still might be worth shopping around for the right pro ...

Last spring, the dodgy Sycamore behind my house (about 10m high) cost me £250 to get felled, chopped into rings and branches chipped and removed. He was fully insured BTW. Took him & his mate a morning so they were fast workers. IIRC the first quote we got was 3 times that though, the second 2. It was a very good deal I think & not something I would have attempted myself as the tree overhung the house.

HTH,

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

Thanks Alex,

Everyone who suggests that I get a pro in to do it is, probably, right!

It might be instructive to get a quote for felling and logging into fireplace sized chunks.

The Lawsons are along a 'token' fence (mine) that is almost in pieces already and thus needs replacing in any event. So fence damage is not an issue. They are now, after severe lopping by me last year, only about 15' high.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

I think its a 180.

Not the very tiny one: Next size up.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The farm manager that works the land around me came over after Xmas, and we (he mostly_ felled my two 15m sycamores whilst I de branched em. With his two sons. 8 and 11. They pulled on the ropes. fell withing a foot of intended targets.

I slipped him 70 quid for about 3 hours work. He seemed to think I had overpaid.

I've got about 3 tons of logs now, all drying out for next winter...and we burnt the trash last weekend.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thats bowsaw terrirtiory and notyhing to worry about. They might break a leg if you are incerdibly stuoid, but they won't kill you.

If you have a 15ft fall area for em,. its about 6 minutes apiece with a chainsaw, or an hour with a bowsaw I'd say.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's a rather tired right arm, or a blunt bowsaw, IME. The initial felling won't be more than 10 mins of cutting. If you include taking off the side branches and cutting the whole lot up into manageable lengths - then I see where the hour apiece is coming from.

Me, I'm happy to take the bowsaw to such objects, but shy away from hiring/buying a chainsaw of any description; it wouldn't get enough use for relevant safety habits to become ingrained, nor to justify the added

150quid+ for limb & face protection... Still, each to their own!
Reply to
Stefek Zaba

I know it's a bow saw task to fell the wretched things! I felled a roof height ex-christmas tree last night in two stages into my front garden.

What I can't face is cutting 10 x 15 foot into 10 inch chunks by hand.

Richard

PS thanks for the Stihl model number!

Reply to
Richard