chainsaw on a stick

Hi,

These "chainsaws on a stick" seem to be regularly recommended here. When flicking through the free view channels, one of the shopping channels sells a Ryobi model. Is there anyone else who makes them or is the Ryobi as good as any?

The in laws wanted one. I searched the internet and found the usual suspects all sell the Ryobi (been and queued, Screwfix, Machine mart) but they visited a lawnmower shop instead, who has sold them a Mitox for twice the price.

've heard the name Ryobi but I'm never sure where on the scale it sits. Is it a professional range or a DIYers range or something in between?

I hadn't heard of Mitox before and I don't know the shop they went to. Could it be that the Ryobi is more a DIY tool for occasional use by the public, whereas Mitox is more for the professional and built for frequent use? Perhaps they paid more for a better built machine? Or it could simply be that they went to a Mitox dealer so he sold the product that gave him the best return!

The obvious difference is that the Ryobi takes many attachments including strimmer, hedge cutter, and chainsaw and this Mitox only comes with a hedge trimmer. They say that's all they wanted but I would have thought the chainsaw attachment would have been useful for pruning branches, so I think they made the wrong choice but I'm no expert, just my 2p.

What does the group think? TIA

Reply to
Fred

I find Ryobi battery tools first class. I've never used their petrol engined ones. I have a "chain saw on a stick" which I bought from Westphalia. I have used it successfully for high branch removal, but it's quite a weight and not the easiest thing to use. Anyone older than me might have trouble. So, your in-laws might have been talked out of one for that reason.

Reply to
charles

The Ryobi is brilliant. Here is a video of me pissed up chopping a tree down with the chainsaw attachment. The tree was bigger/wider than the recommended size for the chainsaw attachment but what the hell, I did it.

ARW

FWIW, I bought a Mitox long reach hedge trimmer recently. It seemed like an OK bit of kit, and it came with a 2 year warranty. If it lasts

2 seasons, I shall be pleased. I've run it for about 15 hours so far.
Reply to
Huge

Reply to
Roger Mills

+1

I have lots of Ryobi battery tools which have lasted well with heavy DIY use. I also have one of their strimmers with the 'chainsaw on a stick' attachment which is still going strong after 5 years, now on it's 4th chain.

Reply to
AlanD

No, but I was pissed up and I was the only available tool.

Reply to
ARW

Lots of people do them... not as many are so heavily promoted though. There is also quite a price jump to the next alternative.

I would say posh end of DIY, low end of pro

The chainsaw is very useful IME.

My first petrol ryobi consumed a bit of its own carb and knackered itself. However I was too heavily invested in add ons to make it worth changing to another. The second one seems to be doing ok.

Reply to
John Rumm

IMNSHO the 5 foot separation between mitts and moving bits made it the ideal tool under the circumstances :-)

Reply to
fred

Ryobi: Cheap, cheerful, get them anywhere, parts seem well sorted.

Mitox: parts supply sucks.

For domestic use, I'd go Ryobi. For pro, Stihl, or Husquvarna if I was nearby a decent dealer. Wouldn't touch Jonsered.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Worth noting that Husquvarna accessories fit the Ryobi brush cutters... (and although I have not tried - possibly the reverse is true)

Reply to
John Rumm

Thats not a tree. Its a skinny shrub

Reply to
fred

Is there a reason that you bought that rather than the ryobi?

Reply to
Fred

What are the other makes to look at?

Am I right to think there is a 4-stroke and a 2-stroke model and that the 2-stroke is better (can be used upside down)?

Reply to
Fred

Because the retailer is the same bloke who maintains my ride-on lawnmower and is nearby. He doesn't sell Ryobi stuff.

(I've just come in for a coffee from using the aforementioned Mitox hedge trimmers. I'm doing the tops of the hedges now. F*ck me, but it's hard work.)

Reply to
Huge

They seem to be getting better year by year. Ryobi stuff is appearing at professional suppliers in my area alongside Milwaukee and similar names. Some of their stuff (e.g. electric sealant guns) is difficult to see as DIY.

A few years ago Ryobi did a lot of OEM stuff for B&Q. I still have and use regularly a large suitcase of circular saw, jigsaw, reciprocating saw, hammer drill and flashlight that was sold as B&Q but has internal parts and blades marked Ryobi. It has done extremely well, with the drill being used to drive in over 400 Monti masonry screws (150mm long) into concrete without experiencing a single problem. Best battery drill that I have ever owned, with the possible exception of the 7.2V green Bosch which was the first one I ever bought back in 1991 I think, and it still refuses to die, still on the original batteries.

The Ryobi batteries will need re-celling soon since they no longer hang on to a full charge for longer than a few days. That's after about eight years of use and abuse.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I had the two stoke, and current have the 4 stroke. I would say the two stroke is probably better - higher revving and a bit more power for the size. The four stroke is reasonably tolerant of use in odd positions, but there are some it does not like - especially when the fuel is getting low.

Reply to
John Rumm