Chainsaw: chain oil distribution

The oil has stopped coming through to the sawchain on my rather old chainsaw.

I learned (belatedly) from a chainsaw manual that if not used for long periods, you should empty the oil reservoir. If you fail to do that, you should empty it, put in some ordinary engine oil, run the saw for a while, then empty again -- the channels should be free.

No luck with this technique so far, so ... are there any old tricks to freeing up the channels that I might try? I know there are several time-served chainsaw users in this group!

John

Reply to
Another John

It it is anything like my Ryobi there is a pump with a plastic gear which can fail. Check for online manual if it is a mainstream model.

Reply to
newshound

You will likely find that wood chippings have got into the oil tank and hence into the oilways. All you can do is remove the bar and try to flush out the oilway revealed with paraffin. Also flush out the oil tank. You have to be very careful when filling the oil tank with oil to keep rubbish out. If you have an old hypodermic syringe, this is a good tool for squirting down the oilways.

Failing the above, it is a dismantle job.

Reply to
harry

Mineral chain oil is just a straight grade motor oil with a sticky additive.

If you have left a vegetable oil in the tank this may well have congealed.

Are you sure the worm gear inward of the clutch has not lost some teeth? Typically after getting plastic twine entangled.

Else it is a matter of cleaning everything out, I'd start with the filter in the oil tank.

AJH

Reply to
news

Forget the oiler. Get an oil can. Fill it with engine oil. Squirt some on every few minutes. That's what I do. Chains last forever. Giant sequoia fall obligingly.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright