chain resistant to bolt cutting?

Hello,

I'm looking for a short length of chain to close my gates together, as a deterrent to opportunistic theft and to stop the gates opening in the wind. What spec of chain do I need to be resistant to attack from bolt cutters and can you recommend a supplier?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Is there much point in using a chain much stronger than the gates themselves? If they can be cut easily?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

After the robbery at our place a few weeks ago then it seems nothing will stop a cordless angle grider.

Reply to
ARW

I would be inclined to buy a motorbike lock, they are designed to resist cutting. Any chain can be cut given time, though.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Humphrey

That's probably true. But cable is harder to get through with bolt cutters.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

hardened chain

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

They will just crowbar the gate hinges.

Reply to
alan_m

As sold for motorbike security etc. As others have said, the thick ones will resist bolt cutters but not an angle grinder.

Reply to
newshound

alan_m wrote in news:cugsdrFp7vbU1 @mid.individual.net:

Is there an alarm similar to the ones that stick on wondows which detect the sound of breaking glass?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Adam Aglionby

There are youtube videos showing how many seconds it takes to cut various motorcycle chains using bolt cutters. Typically less than 10 seconds.

Reply to
dennis

I forgot..

dennis

Well, for a gate I'd expect the chain to be out of reach to bolt cutters being employed as depicted in the video.

Reply to
Richard

Had to laugh when I heard this from someone. Apparently two wrought iron gates into a compound had been chained together where they met, but it seemed that the gates were merely hooked over a series of vertical spindles mounted on the gate posts, and the bad guys had simply lifted one of them off to get in.

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

No but it makes a heck of a lot of noise, so unless you are out in the middle of nowhere its a bit of a give away.

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

True and the gates are not that tall, so they could be climbed over. I'm not wanting to make a fortress because as you say, anyone determined could get in, but something as a deterrent to opportunists.

Reply to
Stephen

Thanks. It is an interesting video but the bolt cutters look 4' long; not the kind of thing many people have (I hope!). I would hope that if someone was using them on a pavement in broad daylight, someone else might call the police!

Reply to
Stephen

My daughter locked her bike to the railings outside a central London hospital where she worked and lost the key. She went home by other means and I went with my car, cut the chain with a large pair of bolt cutters, put the bike in the car and drove away. This was in the middle of the day with many people around and nobody batted an eyelid.

Peter.

Reply to
PJK

By convention farm gates have the upper pivot inverted so that the gate cannot be lifted off to either gain entry or nick the gate. I'm construction a secure compound for a 3 ton mini digger at the moment where the periphery is a 20 foot square water tank with 6 mm steel plate walls 1 metre high bedded in the concrete base. The entrance will be a steel gate, but both hinge end and catch end will have security chains, as although the upper pivot will be inverted, it is possible to unbolt the gate part of the hinge.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

It's just that a decent pair of large bolt cutters (or angle grinder) might well cut through the gate itself. And that is going to cost a lot more to fix than a chain.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)