CH Thermostat Position

It's one of those conundrums that doesn't have an answer - well it does, TRV's on all the radiators for starters and seprate zones. The main problem with a thermostat, not in the hall but half way up the stairs, as I had one once, was not the close control or the step change on front door opening (which never happens as, in real life most of the other doors are open and the cold air hits your feet) but having the hall in the north of the building in winter and sun heating wintery south facing rooms which then got too hot as the heating was on. The sitting room has problems as have been described.

In the light of experience, I would put the thermostat in the dining room if you have one. It is less likely to have separate heat sources or an outside door and is still a living room and reasonable furnished and curtained (usually) and only slightly cooler than the sitting room. It's not ideal but best you can do IMHO

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Untrue. The wind does not effect the temperature only the rate of heat loss.

Don't start that one when you clearly think the wind effects the temperature when it doesn't.

Which makes no difference to what I said. Leave it long enough and it will reach outside temp and the heating still hasn't switched on.

Reply to
dennis

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:13:54 -0000 someone who may be "dennis@home" wrote this:-

A fascinating assertion. If one accepts it, for the sake of argument, then the rate of heat loss must not affect the temperature. As I said, fascinating.

You may have the last word.

Reply to
David Hansen

Are you suggesting that the stat and the TVR will be in the same room .AIUI the rads in the room with the stat should not have a TVR .

Err no!

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

Correct, the rate of heat loss does *not* have any effect on when the stat switches.

Good, then I don't have to explain why you are wrong.

Reply to
dennis

No, I haven't said where the TRVs are. I have said what will happen if someone puts the stat in a room where the TRV is set lower. And we are talking about someone moving the stat.

If you want to do the job properly then fit stats in each room and fit zones valves. TRVs and a room stat are a cheap bodge.

Reply to
dennis