CH thermostat

Hi,

I am thinking about upgrading my CH thermostat to a programmable thermostat. I was looking at something like the Horstman Centaurstat.

I already have a "basic" Horstmann digital thermostat but when it switches on or off, there is a big click. Does the centaurstat make a similarly big click; do all thermostats?

I would like to put a separate thermostat on the upstairs CH but I don't want a thermostat that will wake me up clicking in the night.

Thanks.

Reply to
Fred

We (now) have one of those remote wireless types and it is absolutely silent. As it doesn't do the switching, there is absolutely no need for it to contain a relay - but then nor do most stats. Even the old type which switched the heating on and off, didn't have a relay - the click was just the contacts of the stat switching over.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Assuming you're not talking about a wireless stat, the stat logic is battery driven, and it has to have a built-in relay to switch the mains. The relay may make a click - but it shouldn't be loud enough to wake you up unless you are either a very light sleeper or you mount it in the middle of a hollow wall which acts as a sounding board. If this is a problem, mount it on something solid with a rubber pad behind it - or use a wireless stat whose actual switching is done remotely.[1]

[1] Probably close to the pump and valves in the airing cupboard. If *these* wake you up, there ain't a lot you can do!
Reply to
Roger Mills

The message from Fred contains these words:

Yes the Centaurstat does and no, not all thermostats are anywhere near as loud.

I have mine in my bedroom. It doesn't actually wake me up but I can sleep through thunderstorms so YMMV.

The downstairs stat is a Danfoss TP75. That is audible but at a different magnitude to the Horstmann.

Reply to
Roger

Says it has "micro-disconnection changeover" but 8 amp contacts.

So you might get click or CLICK

Reply to
EricP

The pump is nice and quiet. The valves do whir when they switch off. Only time will tell if that becomes a nuisance. Perhaps the system should have been designed with them in the kitchen? Too late now, or could they be fitted to the return pipes? That's more of an academic question; I doubt they will be a problem with the doors closed.

Thanks.

Reply to
Fred

Thanks. I have used Horstmann products so far, partly because they were relatively cheap and readily available from my local Screwfix counter. I was saying in another post that the valves whir when they close. Are other makes quieter? I don't think the whir will be a problem with the airing cupboard door closed but the click of the 'stat might be. What make do you recommend for a quieter click, and why are Horstmann so much noisier?

Thanks.

Reply to
Fred

The whirring is from the gearbox. The motor drives the valve through a very high reduction gearbox. When the valve closes, using the spring return, the gearbox then becomes a high ratio step-up jobby, driving the motor round at a fair rate of knots.

Whilst you *could* put the valves on the return side, it is far more usual to do as you have done, and to have them on the flow side immediately after the pump.

Reply to
Roger Mills