CH replacement strategies

OK, this is probably not DIY, but bear with me..

My aging Baxi Bermuda system is on its last legs, and I want/need to replace it with a combi system so that I can reclaim the storage & header tank space.

The existing radiator circuit is reasonably sound, although the majority of rads are at least 20 years old.

Question: is there any mileage in getting someone to install a new boiler (planned in the kitchen), picking up feeds to the existing system? The Baxi is in the lounge, and as it is a converted bungalow, the pipework is fairly "organic".

Otherwise, should I strip out the existing myself (and risk missing something obvious), and go for a clean new install, or should I allow the installers to do that, possibly reusing any appropriate pipe runs to save work?

I think I know the answer, but I'd like to know from anyone else who has had similar a dilemma.

Cheers, Bramblestick

Reply to
Bramble-Stick

Depends on your existing system. We had a Baxi Bermuda in the lounge, a hot-water cylinder in the airing cupboard and just a single tank in the loft. I discovered through this group that this is what's called a "primatic" system and not suitable for putting chemicals such as corrosion inhibitor into, so all our thirty-five or so year-old rads were full of corrosion silt and crud.

I suppose we could have had it powerflushed but thought that the rads probably wouldn't have stood up to the increased pressure of the new closed system, so we opted for a complete brand new installation, rads, pipes and all.

Reply to
John

A combi system is higher pressure. I'm not saying there will be a problem but I wouldn't be suprised if it leaked as all the rest is 20 years old!

You might consider a thermal store - I think they are well worth a look for a replacement installation.

seem to promise the best of both worlds!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

snap!

We decided to keep a lot of the existing pipework and ditched everything else - it works for us.

Reply to
Mark