CH pump runs 24/7

Installing, no. Trying to unpick someone else's attempts - especially when the green/yellow has been pressed into service

- might be a different matter

Reply to
Tony Bryer

But any good electrician wouldn't try to unpick an obvious mess, they'd pull it all out and start again.

Reply to
BigWallop

Yup. It's often quicker that way. If it looks like a bodge, it is, so best to start again.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If the electrician does not understand the functionality or operation of the system then he is useless. Pulling in a doemstic electrician who does ring mains and lights is a waste of time.

Reply to
IMM

Total tripe.

Reply to
IMM

Our ng fool interjects....

.....and continues....

This is a bit rich coming from incompetent. Here is this Plowman giving advice on CH..read on...

He also attempts to give advice and criticise views on heating, yet he said about his gas boier.......

"Mine managed over 10 years without being touched before it needed a clean. 'Sooting up' once it starts, happens very quickly."

He didn't have his gas boiler serviced for over 10 years, and knows all the answers in this field - he thinks. Only on the Internet you see this.

These pe "Well, I got a rather flash pair of DeWalt boots from TLC, so there.;-)"

Sad isn't it. Big yellow boots. Yes. big yellow boots. Such a saddo.

Reply to
IMM

You don't know much about electrical switching systems then? A good electrician should be able to connect timers and switches for any type of control system, even without the help of the instruction booklet. By tracing which and what should go where, this should be a simple enough job for any good electrician because of the basic principles of these types of system. If they can't, then they shouldn't be allowed to call themselves a qualified electrician.

We're not talking about fault finding to PCB component level here, we're talking about the basic wiring of switch gear which any good electrician should know the basics of, even if the switch is controlled by a clock.

Reply to
BigWallop

Excuse me here, but I started by wiring barracks and military camp sites all over the world. I also had to learn the wiring systems of vehicles. When I finished my military career I moved on to the mining industry and mineral ore treatment plants. I'd say that even my basic skills as an electrical engineer have stood me in good stead when it came to connecting simple switches for many types of system control. How a switch works is usually the first thing you learn about circuit control gear.

If I couldn't connect a central heating control system, right from scratch without the instruction manuals, and make it work properly first time when it was switch on. Then I'd go back and get my gun and use it on myself.

If it is true what you say about today's electricians and their training, then things really have gone to the dogs.

Reply to
BigWallop

Yup. Now which part of competent didn't you understand? I know your use of English is poor, but I thought you could at least read it.

You need to get out more and meet some *real* tradespeople. Just because you can barely fit a new plug or cut plastic pipe properly doesn't apply to all.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No pet - wiring. Something I do understand.

I'll snip the rest to save bandwidth. Perhaps you could do the same - or find something new to say?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I know a hell of a lot, you better believe me.

He will be able to connect them, and the work would be OK, but would it work? They have to know about heating systems. Most of them would not know what is a boiler pump over-run, or why ther shoudl be one. I have met them and they really don't know. A professional heating man has to tell them what he wants and then test the functionality to ensure it works.

< snip babble >
Reply to
IMM

You have to know what the hell you are controlling. I wouldn't trust you to wire complex heating system at all.

Reply to
IMM

< snip loonacy >
Reply to
IMM

You don't understand heating at all.

Reply to
IMM

What would you class as complex in switching things on and off?

Reply to
BigWallop

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:47:59 -0000, "IMM" strung together this:

Total f****it, f*ck off and die.

Reply to
Lurch

This one has serious mental problems. He is cracking up. Get it seen to ASAP.

Reply to
IMM

  1. No idea.
  2. Quite probably.
  3. Make a diagram, take your time, read and understand the FAQ on heating controls.
  4. If you pay enough you will eventually find the ones who are competant.

I'm intrigued that the Eastern european was already CORGI registered. How long had he been here? Did you actually see his card or were you told he was registered? His English would have to be pretty good to get through the exams.

I thought Ecomaxs had integral pumps.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

This is quite true. On Tueday lateish pm I went to sort out: 'Pumps runs all the while, there are spitting noises which keep me awake'.

Found sealed system with 3 zone S-plan ( 1 heating and 2 water zones).

Bled air from pipes - greatly reduced the spitting - which was air bubbles going through closed zone valves. When I started to investigate I realized there was a rat's nest of wiring to sort out including a relay unit.

I explained to the customer it might take me more time than I had left today.

The next day I found that both zone valves for the water had failed motors. I guess that small amount of leakage past the closed valves combined with the 24/7 pump was just enough to keep the water hot enough for their needs.

Turned out that all the wiring was correct except for an extra link in the boiler. On a label in the boiler it said explicitly remove link or pump will run continously when using external controls. Also the relay unit was totally redundant and wired so as to emulate a piece of wire, nice piece of salvage 8-).

-- Ed Sirett - Property maintainer and registered gas fitter. The FAQ for uk.diy is at

Gas fitting FAQ
CH FAQ

Ed Sirett

In message , BigWallop writes

Well actually, perm. pump is a common failure with certain PCBs (e.g. Solo 2)

I missed (or have forgotten) the start of this thread, which boiler are we talking about here ?

my area of expertise ...

OK - back to DIMM bashing everyone

Reply to
raden