CH off or turned down ??

Over the summer rather we have just turned the CH thermostat right down so that the rads never get warm.
Is there any difference between doing this and setting the timer too 'off' and is one method preferable to the other ?
No particular reason I ask, it just came up in conversation today.
Cheers
Jim
-- Remove BRAIN before replying

During the non-winter, whenever that is in this country, I just leave mine on 15 Celsius as a safe-guard against unexpected cold patches.
- Stuart Millington http://www.fuck-verisign.co.uk/ -

'off'
What's in the attachment Stuart ? Do you have a virus creeping around somewhere ? Your posting have just been deleted from my machine just in case.
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 01:28:50 UTC, "BigWallop"

There is no attachment. You have broken software.
Stuart has a line in his sig that starts with 'begin'. It is well known that OE, for example, assumes that starts an attachment even when the rest of the line bears no resemblance to the start of an attachment.
Stuart is probably doing it just to be awkward...quite a few people do.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

So that readers think there's a virus and delete his posts rather than responding to them?
Sounds like a Really Good Idea.
(d) writes:

d> responding to them?
Perhaps he isn't interested in communicating with the clueless.
--
Mail me as snipped-for-privacy@MYLASTNAME.org.uk _O_
|<
Davidlobsterpot601 (d) writes:

What, as in Bigwallop you mean!? Don't think most readers of uk.d-i-y would agree with that assessment. Stuart's loss.
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 01:28:50 GMT, "BigWallop"
There isn't one. As the plain text says: "OE is broken read MS knowledgebase Q265230", which is at <http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid &5230>.
It's my default signature, which I forgot to change before posting here :( OT, so FU set to poster.
- Stuart Millington ALL HTML e-mail rejected -

Probably no difference if you use an OFF switch on the timer.
Some boilers go through an excercise routine every 24 hours if there hasn't been any call for heat, e.g. run the pump for a few seconds, to help ensure nothing ceases up over a long period of non-use. If you disconnect all power from the system, then it obviously can't do that. (If you use the boiler for hot water too, then it's going to be running for that anyway at least once a day unless you switch hot water off.)
--
Andrew Gabriel

JimM wrote:

Why turn it down? If it's warm enough it won't come on anyway.
Ben
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:51:43 +0000 (UTC), Ben Harrington wrote:

So that it doesn't kick in for 10 mins just to bring the house up to temp when in reality you don't need it at the set temp anyway.
I leave ours "on" all year under control of programable thermostat. It does occasionly come on when prehaps comfort says it's not required, generally first thing in the morning coming out of the overnight set temperature. But not enough to worry about compare to the hassle of reprogramming the stat or adjusting the timer. Probably no more than another 10hrs of burner time, so another 70l of oil not much from 5,000l/year.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Dave Liquorice wrote:

I do the same.
I think that the occasional short run is a good idea anyway to keep valves working.
Ben
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:38:46 +0000 (UTC), Ben Harrington wrote:

I'd forgotten that very good point. We must be just about the enter the time of year with a rash of postings along the lines of
Help!!! CH off all summer:
a) One or more radiators don't heat up. b) No radiators heat up, boiler fires but shuts down in minutes. c) etc etc
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

So ... nows about time to switch on your CH and test it and make sure everything's working, rather than find out that it doesn't work in a month's time.
--
geoff

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 01:29:24 +0100, geoff wrote:

In the balmy south maybe be. Up here in a months time I'll be expecting the first snow (may alreday have had it) and the CH will be coming on during the day. ATM it just comes on first thing and again early evening.
-- Cheers Dave. snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com Nr Garrigill, Cumbria. 421m ASL. pam is missing e-mail

I would, but the whole lot's getting replaced next month, anyway.
Well, not the whole lot, just the boiler, pump, hot water system, TRVs, programmer, thermostats and zone valves.
Christian.
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 21:39:01 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"

I've just posted a request on that subject:) Trouble is it's a combi boiler fitted when I bought the house and these are something I know little about.
Oh for the days of the back boiler and the coal fire.

-- Alan G "The corporate life [of society] must be subservient to the lives of the parts instead of the lives of the parts being subservient to the corporate life." (Herbert Spencer)