CH leaks

Easy to do. My combi boiler pumps water downwards, which is not good for the pumps. Reversing the pump was especially unsuccessful because of the non-return valve en route. It may have been a bad idea for other reasons, but I will never know.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Yup, there is a lot to be said for gaining access via ceilings rather than via floors - often cheaper and easier to fix.

Reply to
John Rumm

Unfortunately here in Cumbria anything in the roof is liable to freeze during a severe cold spell. That's why I moved to a pressurised system in the first place.

Reply to
mechanic

I fitted the boiler and hot water tank in the loft, keeps the chill off up there and frees up room elsewhere in the house.

Reply to
MrCheerful

The pressure relief pipe and the condensate pipe are two entirely different things.

Reply to
harry

Yes, got that Harry, in this case neither seems to be leaking water.

Reply to
mechanic

there should be something coming out of one if/when the boiler is running.

Reply to
MrCheerful

There has to be water coming out of the condense pipe when the boiler is running. Are you sure that it is not blocked or something?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Some twit could have installed it outside where it freezes.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It's not yet cold enough for that.

Get a grip!

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

It is here, and has been for the last 3 nights.

Reply to
charles

I've seen a couple of frosts.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It takes a lot to freeze up a condense pipe.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

If something is heated UP, it should be frozen DOWN :-)

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

FFS! I'm sure that the OP will take note of your helpful comment.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Well you cool down.....

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

We had that years ago when the condensate pipe froze, the water backed up into the combustion 'chamber' and killed the burner. Not happening here. Anyway these litres of refill water have to be going somewhere and the boiler seems dry. The search continues.

Reply to
mechanic

Your neighbour tapped into one of the radiator pipes for free heating, and THEY have a leak somewhere :-)

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Yes okay and all of that. But, have you even looked at the condense pipe? There Really should be water coming out of it. If you have not taken the time to look, then never mind.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Modern fancy rubbish, bound to go wrong. My boiler does not have the ne= ed to condense. Why do people spend =A31000s on a fancy boiler to save = them =A3100s on gas?

-- =

John Montagu: "Sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or= of the pox." Samuel Foote: "That will depend my lord, on whether I embrace your lords= hip's principles or your mistress."

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword