ch hot water cylinder

Can I share this farce with you

My in-laws in their 80s came home to water pouring through the ceiling. Rang the insurance and they sent out plumber. Plumper said hot water cylinder leaking and pipes needed converting to new size. So far so good. In-laws still had ch but no hot water

Plumber turns up 3 days later to do job cant find a drain tap next to boiler so removes downstairs radiator and puts outside house ( drain c*ck was near cylinder cupboard door !) takes cylinder out . Then he stands there and says with sharp intake of breath " Ah cant repair this not allowed by building regs you need complete new system including clock boiler new valves etc etc £ 2000 of work" will tell insurance co and off he went never to be seen again . He left two pensioners with no heating no hot water and a mess . Bdy marvellous or what.

Why on earth cant the hot water cylinder be replaced ?

cheers

Mike

Reply to
flybywire

Because stupid tony and his gang of dimwits want to control our every waking moment. They blindly follow the mantra we must reduce our CO2 emissions - regardless of the effects on our people and our economy. If only they had half a brain between them we might not see the barrage of new rules and laws which only inconvenience the law abiding and are ignored by the cowboys.

Reply to
cynic

It can. Plumber was talking bollocks. Make sure you tell the insurance company not to pay him, and to send another plumber to make the house habitable again.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Well he could have capped off the heating pipes at the (removed) cylinder, and the radiator. Would have taken, ooh, at least 10 minutes. Useless...

Ben

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

|!In article , |! "flybywire" writes: |!> Can I share this farce with you |!> |!> My in-laws in their 80s came home to water pouring through the ceiling. Rang |!> the insurance and they sent out plumber. Plumper said hot water cylinder |!> leaking and pipes needed converting to new size. So far so good. |!> In-laws still had ch but no hot water |!> |!> Plumber turns up 3 days later to do job cant find a drain tap next to |!> boiler so removes downstairs radiator and puts outside house ( drain c*ck |!> was near cylinder cupboard door !) takes cylinder out . Then he stands |!> there and says with sharp intake of breath " Ah cant repair this not allowed |!> by building regs you need complete new system including clock boiler new |!> valves etc etc ? 2000 of work" will tell insurance co and off he went never |!> to be seen again . He left two pensioners with no heating no hot water and a |!> mess . Bdy marvellous or what. |!> |!> Why on earth cant the hot water cylinder be replaced ? |! |!It can. Plumber was talking bollocks. |!Make sure you tell the insurance company not to pay him, |!and to send another plumber to make the house habitable again.

The insurance company are responsible for the bad workmanship of a plumber who *they* employed. Make sure they *pay* to put things right. Make sure that plumber has nothing to do with the house again.

A modern condensing boiler would be an economic advantage over a few years pay back time, especially if they can get it done by the insurance company.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop