CH Draining Problem

Following on from my problem yesterday with the rad Bleed Screw failing I decided to do what I had intended doing soon anyway . I switched the boiler off ( and power too) and shut the cold water inlet .I then opened the drain valve and the rad valves and bleed screws as well. This the first time I have drained the system and I noticed that the valve only turns about one half turn whereas I'd have expected it to turn more . The valve was fitted by the guy who fitted the boiler about 18 months ago and it can be seen here .

removed the handle to make it easier to see.

The system is the two 22mm pipes from boiler to hall and 10/12mm from that point on via a manifold . The new rad in the hall is not connected up yet so I opened up the old valves ( as they need to be removed ) and there was water coming out so I continued draining them until they stopped running. I then cut in to a 10mm pipe leading to another rad that I was removing and water came out from the boiler side of that pipe and showed little sign of stopping so I closed the pipe with molegrips . I've decided to leave it for a while . Is there something I am missing here .All the rads are drained so the problem appears to be between the hall and the drain . Is it possible the drain valve is only opening partially and I just need to leave it longer ...but it has been open all night !!! The cold inlet is definitely closed properly . Any ideas ?

-------------- Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded . Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail

Reply to
Stuart B

disregarded .

The valve should open fully but it is a gate valve- notorious fo jamming due to build-up with crud. Open the valve body using the large, rough cast hexagon to clear the the cause of the jam. For preference fit a full flow 1/4 turn valve in its place whilst you have the system drained down. These tend to clean the crud as you operate them. There is usually an arrow on the body to show the optimum orientation. eg:

Bob Minchin

disregarded .

Thx Bob ...Other than the vlave problem which I'll do what you suggest I sorted the problem with the water still coming out the cut pipe .I just bit the bullet and cut it right through and several bowlfuls of water later it stopped . It could be ,apart from the valve ,that the

22mm flow and return pipes don't have any or enough run on them so the water is lying in them and not draining away but then again it might just be the valve .