CH Drain Tap

Is there any reason why I cannot put a copper pipe to the outside of the house (connected by an isolator) to act as a CH drain. I basically want a simple drain option to my CH and this would make an easy drain solution that would not need hosepipes etc for any further CH drainage. Any ideas why not?
-- Adam
snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk
ARWadsworth wrote:

I've had this capability on my heating system for the last 20 years - very useful.
If I were doing it again, I'd consider plastic pipe as it has a lower thermal conductivity and so will lose less heat. Possibly not a major consideration though.
Bob
On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 21:29:20 +0000, Bob Minchin

It's also worth sloping the section through the wall down slightly so that it drains .andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

No reason whatever. I did this when installing CH in my previous house over 30 years ago. The house had suspended wooden floors - and the pipes for the downstairs rads ran under the floor. It was thus simple to tee off a drain pipe, and take it out through an air brick. I put a stop-tap just inside, accessible via a small hinged trap in one of the floorboards.
Roger

Put a stop cock on it. If it is hanging over a gully then the pipe can remain open and facing down. If not over a gully, then have a cheap drain off cock fitted and leave it open permanently, then you can attach a hose. When these are opened after being tightened for a number of years, they tend to leak, so having it permanently opened prevents this occurring.

ARWadsworth wrote:

Good idea. But why are you having to drain your system so frequently to justify this?