CH corrosion inhibiters.

Even on a single site like Screwfix there seem to be a large variety of additive and corrosion inhibiting solutions, ay enormously varying and often highly expensive prices.

Screwfix seems to be anything but the cheap and cheerful source it used to be, so, when we have finished replacing our three leaky rads - at which time most of the pipework will be plastic bar one or two stretches we can't easily get at - what anticorrosion additive should we be adding and what should it cost?

Cheers, S

Reply to
Spamlet

Tabby

Don't go for a cheap brand. AFAIK Fernox & Sentinel are v. good. If you have a vented system you can use the cheaper version that can be poured into the header tank. On a sealed system a more expensive cartridge is easier to use.

For example Fernox do the F1 protector and F1 superconcentrate.*

  • Check that the product is compatible with your system before purchase.
Reply to
Mark

"Spamlet" wrote

This question comes up regularly and the usual reponse is Fernox or Sentinel. Having tried both in a system with an old boiler some years ago, I would go with Fernox. Of the two products, the Fernox resulted in noticably quieter running of the boiler. They also have a good technical help desk to support their products.

No connection, just a satisfied user. Their products aren't cheap, but neither are the heating components you are trying to protect!

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Seconded. I did, and for all the good it did I might as well have got that plumber in who tipped a vase full of piss into the water system.

With some leftover cheapie inhibitor I did a test, two jars of tap water, each with a nail in, one with inhibitor and one without. The nail in the "inhibited" water corroded more than the one in plain water.

Reply to
Scion

Go for Sentinel or Fernox, I don't use any of the concentrated cartridges etc even on a sealed system, I add the additives via the towel rail by removing blank plug after the system is depressurised.

Reply to
VAG_dude

Go for Sentinel or Fernox, I don't use any of the concentrated cartridges etc even on a sealed system, I add the additives via the towel rail by removing blank plug after the system is depressurised.

Thanks: I thought I'd add ours to a rad before opening the taps.

Spamlet