CH Cleaners?

I'm having a new boiler fitted in a couple of weeks - just the boiler, existing pipework & rads to remain.

The current boiler is 25 years old & the guy fitting the new one has suggested that I run a cleaner through the system & flush it so everything is clean when the new boiler goes in.

On the Fernox site I've found F3, Heavy Duty Restorer, & System Cleaner

Any recommendations as to which is best?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Corgi guy who serviced my boiler yesterday told me to use Sentinel X800.

Incidentally he strongly recommeded against powerflushing!

Anyway he said to put the X800 in, run for 3 hours or so constantly then drain the system whilst it is still hot then flush a few times with normal water then add inhibitor after any alterations are done.

hth

Some of the regular heating engineers will also have views I am sure so I will watch this thread with interest!

EliTom

Reply to
EliTom

Use that. Flush very well. When he fits the boiler get him to keep the drain hose attached and open each rad in turn and flush through with mains water to be sure. Fit one of these to the return pipe:

On the Ch return to the boiler fit this filter:

enough to buy.

grabs all the crud and magentite and protects the boilers heat exchangers.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Ferom Sentinel: "Sentinel X800 Jetflo is a heavy duty cleaning formulation designed to remove corrosion deposits and scale from boiler heat exchangers, radiators and pipework in domestic central heating systems. It has been developed especially for use with power flushing machines. Sentinel X800 Jetflo cleaning solutions are compatible with all commonly encountered metals and alloys, including aluminium. Sentinel X800 jetflo is non-toxic, non hazardous and inherently biodegradible. Although effective when used in conventional gravity/circulation cleaning cycles, the product's full benefits are achieved when used in conjunction with a powerflushing machine such as Sentinel's Jetflush."

It is meant for powerflushing. How effective it is over X-400 when not used with a machine I don't know.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

They say it can be used without the machine:

Doctor Drivel

If you've had inhibitor in the system (and it's been changed regularly) and it's not been leaking or pumping over etc I doubt you'll need anything. Otherwise the Screwfix 'basic' one seem fine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No inhibitor, never changed :-(

Having said that, no leaks or pump over either!

Went to my local 'real' plumbing place & bought the F3 on their suggestion.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Just drained the system, flushed, added the Fernox & refilled.

Tried to bleed the downstairs rads - nothing - obviously a massive airlock. Standard 'attach a garden hose to the drain c*ck' method wouldn't have been easy.

Trusty Wickes/Earlex wet/dry vac to the rescue. Removed a bleed screw, stuck the hose over the 'ole & switched on. Rewarded 10 seconds later by a nice gurgling sound & the rad started to fill.

Also used for emptying rads, emptying toilet cistrns, unblocking sinks & a host of other plumbing jobs.

Wonder why very few plumbers use them?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Ah. Then make a resolution to use it with the new boiler. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)