CH bypass valve

Hello,

I am thinking of buying a Grant boiler. I see they have a built in pump. That's a shame because I only recently fitted a smart pump to my system. Does it invalidate the guarantee if I swap it? I guess it will.

Anyhow, I wondered since it has a built-in pump it probably has a built-in bypass valve. I asked their tech. department and I was told:

  1. no pump overrun is required.
  2. it needs a bypass valve but this is not included in the boiler.

I was surprised at these. I thought all new boilers needed an overrun, or is that only with gas boilers?

It seems strange that they have decided to fit a pump but not the bypass. If they want to save money why not omit both? But to fit one but not the other seems a strange choice IMHO.

However, what is puzzling me is why should it need a bypass valve if there is no overrun? Surely the purpose of the valve is to allow the overrun water somewhere to go?

Where do I fit a bypass valve? Right next to the boiler or do they have to be 1 metre away due to heat (like plastic pipe does) or somewhere else?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen