CFLs saving energy?

some. again RF noise is strictly tested against.

of course. Tiny.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

When was the last time you saw a CFL with a "big inductor"?

Agreed up to a point. A substation leakage inductance is rather low, giving rise to fault currents in the region of kA. In any case what's that got to do with "fed from a nice current limited inductive load"?

See what?

Is that a "no" to CFLs having mains side inductors, unless you include the substation transformer. In which case why didn't you say so in the first place?

Reply to
Fredxx

I didnt say that they run on electricity, either.

I assumed you knew that..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Even a child knows that. I can't see how that explains:

1 The last time you saw a CFL with a "big inductor"?

2 What "fed from a nice current limited inductive load" means?

Reply to
Fredxx

Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

Reply to
Harry Hill

Not here, "base load" is about 800W of which at least 150W is lighting (all florry or CFL). 300W is taken by all the stuff that is "just on" (DSAT Boxes, PVR, PABX, Router, server ect), the remaining

350 odd watts is workstation PC's and monitors. So a lot of the 800W is being drawn by devices with SMPSUs...

Normal peak load is about 5kW but those peaks are short and purely resistive in the kettle, cooker, coffee machine etc

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 23:04:51 -0000, "Harry Hill" had this to say:

99 lines just to add one meaningless line...
Reply to
Frank Erskine

99 eh? I humbly apologise, Frank. Never again will I attempt to lighten things up.
Reply to
Harry Hill

well, during the day we run no lighting at all here.

Its fridges, kettles and all the electronics.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What do they do to control peaky loads? Plenty of effort to control lagging pf, but thats a separate issue. It still holds true that cfl energy and current consumption is well below that of equivalent filament lamps.

Feel free to back that one up

could be, the other reply i gave seems relevant here

NT

Reply to
NT

I would but the females (why is it always females) seem only to know how to switch lights on not off.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave Liquorice wibbled on Thursday 29 October 2009 12:46

Timeswitches - aka communal hallway light switches?

Or do you value your appendanges?

Reply to
Tim W

You could install time-delay push switches.

Reply to
Jim

That's true for switched mode power supplies. It's a bit of a conundrum in the computing industry where EU (and other standards bodies) mandated PFC supplies some years back, and now everyone (in industry) is wanting super high efficiency PSUs. One or the other is easy - the two together is still challenging.

Capacitors can't be used to improve power factors of switched mode power supplies (used in CFLs, computers, etc.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Change hands!

Reply to
PeterC

Could you not just unscrew the bulb over the kitchen sink?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Be fair, when I was kid I could never understand why my dad (who was a tailor) could not tolerate the (to me ) tiny effect of having someone walking around his workroom had on his sight when he was sewing.

The performance of the human eye (mine in particular) deteriorates very rapidly over age of 40 - 45, and it's not just presbyopia and focussing. All the changes are adverse and all require more light to do fine work.

If I had my time over again I'd devote much more thought to maximising the natural light in the house. I made a lot on mistakes on that score when I was in my 20's and as a result tend to leave lights on in every room I anticipate having to go back to.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Indeed. My point was to counter the statement that PF correction per se implied a loss of power.

Obviously its much less than that lost by feeding bad PF loads down resistive lines, or we wouldn't do it at all.

As far as domestic SMPSs go, the inductive nature of the feed will do most of what you want anyway.

Maybe one day we will see 48BV DC as a secondary house wiring fed from a big SMPS that is nicely balanced in itself.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And the way to use a condom is to "Stretch it over the Organ".

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Agreed

What inductive nature of the feed? Have you ever measured neutral to phase fault currents. If you have, you'll find the supply impedance is remarkably low, and moreso much of this is resistive and not inductive. Whilst impedance may increase linearly with frequency, inductance of the supply will stay essentially the same with frequency.

If what you're saying is true, we will see a desperately non-sinusoidal mains waveform.

In reality, even fitering out the higher frequencies through either inductive or capacitive filtering, will have little effect on the ever important crest factor of a SMPS, and hence little effect on power factor.

Reply to
Fredxx