CFL Prices

I was in Waitrose yesterday (not a shop typically associated with bargains) and purchased 2 x 18 Watt Philips CFL's for £1.49 each.

Alongside them on the shelf were physically identical 20W Philips CFL's for £8.99. £7.50 extra for 2 Watts.

Am I missing something?

Reply to
Vortex3

Yes, I'm always surprised by the very high price of CFL's in Waitrose. I don't think it's a store used much by bargain hunters though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It's not unique, though, I've seen the same in the Waitrose at Canary Wharf.

Reply to
Huge

It's the same on ocado.com as well. The price difference seems so absurd I wonder if they sell and 20W lamps at all.

Vortex3

Yes - you bought Philips. Have not found them good.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Who are better, in your experience.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Keep your eyes open for bargains:

Recently found myself in a coin in the meter cottage in Cornwall, where nearly everything in the place was electric, and all the lights tungsten!

Thought I was doing well when I found Morisons in Bodmin had '2 for 99p' deals on a number of CFLs; then discovered Tesco in Wadebridge selling all sorts - even dusk to dawns - for a penny each (YES!). They would only allow

4 per customer, but over the next few days I made a habit of going past that way and replaced all the tungstens in the cottage, and have quite a few left over for me (though since I replaced our outside photoswitch with a street light type one, to run a string of 4 CFLs, we haven't had to replace any of these, whereas, they were frequently failing with the small block type photoswitches.).

So, take your time; keep your eyes open, and save some cash. ______________________

Now, can anyone tell ME why rechargeable batteries are so expensive? I'd have thought that packing chemicals into a particular sized shell, would be pretty much the same cost for rechargeable or otherwise. Yet the 'C' sized cells I currently need all cost an arm and a leg, and are almost vanished from the shops too! On the web there are stories of many offered for sale there being fakes...

spamlet

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "spamlet" saying something like:

is the place. You can also use AA cells in a C shell, also available there. If you hold the C shell to your ear, you'll hear the sound of the UK retailers crying into their beer.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon