Ceresit FT101

FYI

Someone posted a link to a video on this stuff a while ago, it showed a leaking glass being sealed whilst the water was still running. Impressive stuff on film.

Bought a tube to try & left it on the van.

Got a call this morning from the bloke who owns the local burger van, water pouring through the ceiling of the trailer around the skylight, council health inspector had just arrived for his regular check!

It was chucking it down here this morning, really hissing it down.

Removed the screws & frame from inside & then removed the skylight from the roof. Must have been 1/2" of standing water on the roof, no drainage channels I could see. Couldn't get rid of the water, even tried tilting the trailer using the jockey wheel.

I applied a thick bead of this stuff around the skylight flange, pushed it into place, leak stopped immediately, refitted the inner frame, not a drop of water anywhere.

Watched it for 20 mins while I ate my free bacon roll, called them later to check, not a single drip.

So, it does work on wet surfaces and even underwater. Bloody incredible stuff.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In article , The Medway Handyman writes

Sorry dave, this does not sound like a great advert for your services, sounds more like bodgit & scarper.

Reply to
fred

So, enlighten me Frank. How would you effect such a repair in torrential rain, in a lay by? Perhaps I should have turned the 30' fast food trailer on its side to drain off the standing water? Maybe I should have advised them to close down until better weather arrived & the roof dried out?

Always open to ideas...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sorry Fred,

I agree with Dave on this one - as a temporary, emergency repair on a wet surface, that's as good as you can get.

I, along with many apprenticed tradesmen, have used similar compounds to stop water entry *and* plug burst pipes at all hours of the day and night to good effect - until a permanent repair can be carried out.

When you have been to upward of 35 bursts and leaks in a night (one winter that went on for over a week [not an exaggeration btw]), then you really will appreciate the stuff - try it some winter, it's good for the soul!! LOL

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

Sure my soul needs some help, how much FT101 should I apply?

Reply to
Rod

In article , The Medway Handyman writes

In short, a fast food outlet with 1/2" of standing water on the roof on the roof is not fit for purpose and an owner who is only worried about covering the problem when the environmental health are making an inspection is not someone to trust with food hygiene.

Has the owner asked you to come back to fix his roof fall problem properly? If not then you've just assisted him/her in bodging it to satisfy a health inspection as no roofing system was designed to survive constant immersion.

If your going back next week to fix the problem properly then I sit corrected.

BTW, who's Frank?

Reply to
fred

So, when I recieve a call to fix a leak, I should insist that I return to fix the 'fall' on the flat trailer roof?

How do you fix the 'roof fall problem' on a flat roof? Have you ever seen a burger van with a pitched roof?

I'm doing what the customer asked me to do. Its not my place to tell him how to run his business, its my place to supply the service he requests.

Fred is so last year. I decided to re name you :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Don't get me wrong, the product testimonial was great, I just wouldn't have been so gung-ho about it, it was a bodge it to satisfy an EH inspection, hence my original comment.

LOL (it's fred, not Fred btw)

ps: flat roofs need a fall to work correctly, otherwise they leak ;-)

Reply to
fred

Depends on how much help the soul needs?

Yes, I could have sorted the last bit out a little clearer. :-)

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

Yes, I assert it is functionally equivalent to CT1. It is relatively new (to me) resin that seems to be functionally better than both Silicone and Acrylic.

Silicone is glossier, and Acrylic is cheaper.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

In message , fred writes

It's a 'kin burger van