Ceramic sinks

I'm sourcing a new sink for my kitchen.

I had virtually decided on a 'granite' style from Carron Phoenix (rather stark but indestuctable) until I saw Focus now stock an attractive white ceramic sink called Rustica from CP for about the same price. (Strangely the Rustica is not listed on Carron Phoenix own webpage)

Now I thought that ceramic sinks were equally indistructable - a lifetime guarantee is given. Then browsing through eBay I spotted one for sale at a reduced price because it was 'chipped'.

So is a ceramic sink not as durable as I had expected?

Reply to
David J

David J gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

A ceramic sink is relatively easy to chip. Probably not as easy as stainless is to dent, but certainly not difficult.

Reply to
Adrian

In message , David J wrote

Same material as a dinner plate

Reply to
Alan

had a 1.5 bowl one in for abt 5years - one chip (so far) but unless rest is meticulously clean you wouldn't know without a very close exam. Of course by now it does not look brand new - some wear of the glaze around the plugholes, and consequent slight staining there. Can be removed with bleach but of course only til next cuppa tea goes down! Rest of it is doing OK and far more aesthetic IMHO than stainless or cast quartzy things in our somewhat dingy kitchen.

(Plus only cost abt 120 incl VAT IIRC ;>))

JimK

Reply to
JimK

i was told by a ceramic sink retailer if a longish knife with a pointed tip was dropped on the ceramic it would be chippy time !

Reply to
sam coleridge

Oh dear...! Maybe it's back to the 'granite' then....

David

Reply to
David J

I've heard that granite can soak up stains that you can then not get out. ie red wine. It has to be sealed somehow to prevent this and it seems not a lot of people know this. Certainly this fact is not widely advertised.

Although a white sink is nice to work over i would never buy another white enamel one. (i do wonder about the cheaper white plastic ones i've seen but guess I would not risk it). so its all down to stainless steel....sigh

Reply to
sam coleridge

spose you need to ask how often will you be dropping longish pointed tip knives vertcially into an empty sink without a washing up bowl in it? and what would happen to the "granite" if you did the same thing?

JimK

Reply to
JimK

There's always a *real* ceramic sink, such as a Belfast sink.

course it is for people who mostly use a dishwasher. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

The message from Bruce contains these words:

A Belfasat sink is fine as long as you NEVER use it! Dreadful things. Still have one in our holiday cottage. I'm afraid I can't really think of anything in its favour. Stainless steel sinks may be regarded by some as unfashionable, but the fact is that the best of them are truly excellent products.

Reply to
Appin

Agree 100%, but they do look nice. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

We have had a white (with dark speckles) Franke Granite sink for years and any stains it gets can be sorted by leaving the sink full of hot water and soap powder overnight. It never gets scoured as this can damage the finish. Carron is now owned by Franke.

Archie

Reply to
Archie

We had a similar one (Carron) (austentite or something sounding similar). Was fine for nearly 20 years, then cracked when boiling water was poured into it (not the first time boiling ewater had been poured).

It's now replaced by stainless steel.

Reply to
<me9

I've now been reminded by a kitchen fitter that a metal saucepan (especially aliminium) can easily leave a black mark a ceramic sink that is hard to shift. So that's another negative against that material...

It now looks like SS is the only durable solution to my sink problem!

Any preferences - satin, linen, polished?

David

Reply to
David J

In message , David J wrote

You would be better off checking the thickness of the metal. Some sinks seem to be made of cooking foil :( Price isn't necessarily an indication of quality.

Reply to
Alan

True - not many quote the gauge. I've found a couple at 0.8mm, which is the best I can see.

Interesting points about the prices of SS sinks I have discovered. The cheapies are totally stamped out of one piece of metal, stretching the bends somewhat. More expensive models have the bowl welded onto the top surface, obviating this weakness.

Also you can check the quality of the metal with a magnet. Cheap SS will be slightly magnetic with too much ferrous content. A decent spec is 18/10 and T304.

David

Reply to
David J

The term ceramic covers a whole range of materials, from inserts in bulltproof vests, through materials than can be turned in a lathe, to the finest boneware. Sinks are usually made from fireclay, which is a particularly durable ceramic, made, despite its name, from mined rock. It is very difficult to chip, but not impossible. Just avoid dropping heavy weights onto corners.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

David J wrote: ...

304 is nominally an 18/8 stainless steel, although it can contain up to 10.5% Nickel.

18/10 is 316, which is much more resistant to corrosion, but also more expensive. It is also more difficult to deep draw properly, which may be why some sinks are drawn only, while others are drawn and welded.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Curious - never having had one, what's wrong with them in practice?

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Pete Verdon gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Having had one for several years, nothing much.

Sure, you've got to be a bit careful not to drop heavy metal stuff in and chip 'em. But it's not that hard.

Reply to
Adrian