ceramic sink knockout

I've just received a ceramic sink, Belfast 200 from Carron phoenix and I am informed that I need to open a hole in the centre to allow a tap to be fitted. The area that the tap is located is pre prepared underneath for cutting through the ceramic surface. However, I'm not sure how to actually cut through the pre- prepared area in order to fit the tap. It appears to be scored underneath. Does anyone have any experience in opening a hole in this ceramic double sink. Do I need to score the glazed top surface? and how do I do that to prevent the glazed surface from splintering and or cracking. I would be grateful if you could pass on any tips or advice that may be relevant.

Regards

Don

Reply to
Donwill

I've just received a ceramic sink, Belfast 200 from Carron phoenix and I am informed that I need to open a hole in the centre to allow a tap to be fitted. The area that the tap is located is pre prepared underneath for cutting through the ceramic surface. However, I'm not sure how to actually cut through the pre- prepared area in order to fit the tap. It appears to be scored underneath. Does anyone have any experience in opening a hole in this ceramic double sink. Do I need to score the glazed top surface? and how do I do that to prevent the glazed surface from splintering and or cracking. I would be grateful if you could pass on any tips or advice that may be relevant.

Regards

Don

Reply to
Donwill

not sure if its the same as ours but the fitter tapped ours through with a hammer and small socket as a punch

Reply to
Kevin

Which side did he knock it out from? from underneath, that is the unglazed side or from the top? did he have to cut through the glaze first?

Don

Reply to
Donwill

I guess they do it that way in case you want to have the tap situated outside the sink itself .

When you say "I need to open a hole in the centre" where exactly is the tap being fitted . This is the bit that confuses me .

"The area that the tap is located is pre prepared underneath" Underneath what?

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

A Belfast sink doesn't have a hole for a tap. It's used with a bibcock attached to the wall behind it.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

a Belfast 200 does though

Reply to
Kevin

I missed belfast bit earlier, email the company and ask them as they should know, but our sink the hole was knocked down

Reply to
Kevin

I bottled out of using a punch and hammer on my new =A3150 sink and drilled mine out with progressively larger masonry bits..

Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

The sink I'm referring to is shown here, complete with attached tap.

the sink when delivered didn't have a hole in the triangular bit at the rear. If you looked under the sink there is a circular deep score in the ceramic material at the position where the tap should fit, I'm advised by the supplier that you can knock this piece out to fit the tap. Naturally, I'm wary of taking a hammer to a £200 + sink so I'm hoping to get some advice here. Don

Reply to
Donwill

I would suggest you ask Carron. (Not that I know the answer!) Seems that is the only way of getting the best advice for their particular sinks. There might be, indeed are, many techniques that could work - but I'd imagine they have their tried and tested favourite.

Reply to
Rod

Hi Don, I'm not sure this is actually of any help but have you seen this? Coincidentally, on Sunday, I was looking around their website and came across this

which relates to their granite range. I was expecting something technical involving holesaws and the like but as you can see.....

It might well be the same principle but can't guarantee it

Good Luck Please reply to group - email address is not monitored Ian

Reply to
Ian

How do you view a .mov file? Neither Firefox, nor Windows Media Player knew what to do with it.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

The page opens ok in IE7 ( which I am using just now with all the issues the latest FF has ) .Mov files are normally played in Quicktime but I'm sure other progs play them as well..

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

It plays fine on my FF3.0.3 I have Quick Time Plug-in 7.5.5

Bit of a leap of faith doing that on a brand new £200 sink

Reply to
Invisible Man

Yep, I like my suggestion better (drill it out)

Use a tile drill for the first hole & don't use hammer action with the rest of the bits :-}

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy