Ceramic mixer tap repair

I have a Hudson Reed Stainless steel kitchen mixer tap with separate levers for hot and cold. It's less than a month old, and am being advised by the online supplier that I will need to replace the 'internal' in order to fix a wobbly lever controlling the Hot supply. The levers are of the quarter turn ceramic type.

As there is no screw in sight for dismounting/removing this lever and shank assembly from the tap body, could anyone tell me how this is done please?

Here is a link to a graphic of the tap together with details of the problem.

Siggy

supply.

Surely if it is "less than a month old" you should not be fiddling with it but intalling the replacement that your supplier should give you having previously 'supplied defective good not fit for purpose'

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Absolutely, but they are in Scotland and I am in Surrey. And apart from the pain of detaching the tap from the sink and posting it back (yes, I still have the backache from fitting the bloody thing almost a month ago!), I shall also be without water in the kitchen for several days.

So, in order to cause myself the least inconvenience possible, I wish to be able to make a repair myself. The supplier has just emailed (within 2 hours of asking on a Saturday!) to offer a free replacement internal component which they will send by post immediately. But I would like to know how one actually achieves that feat first.

hth

Reply to
Siggy

Interesting one! My ceramic mixer tap has little plastic bungs at the ends of each handle axis, which have to be prised out to gain access to the screw - but yours doesn't appear to have anything like that.

I can only assume that the handle must just 'snap' on to the spline of the 'internal' and probably snaps off in the same way.[1] Have you tried giving it a sharp tug away from the tap body?

[1] If you've ever removed the drive shafts from an Austin/Morris Mini or similar, you'll know exactly what I mean!
Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks Roger, but I'm not too sure I like your use of the word 'snap'!! lol

I'm afraid that's exactly what WILL happen if I start tugging on the bloody thing, though. The gap between the tap body and the shank is so small, I don't know what I can use to wedge in there to prise it off without damaging the stainless steel in some way.

Anyway, it seems that it should be a 'pull off' affair, so I'll just have to grin and bear it and hope for the best! :)

ps. I think I remember using a sledge hammer on the Riley Elf driveshaft I removed once. ;-)

Reply to
Siggy
8<

UPDATE:

Panic over. Decided to use brain instead of brawn! The lever itself unscrews from the shank, (duh) and underneath is a grub screw which secures the shank to the inner spindle. It was the grub screw wot was loose! Allen key sorted it. phew! :-)

Reply to
Siggy

Why don't you e mail back & ask them?

Reply to