ceramic hob: disposal of

Hello,

I have just replaced my ceramic hob with an induction hob. The ceramic hob had been in the house when e moved in and whilst it was fully working, the glass was lightly scratched in places. Does it have any value? I haven't looked what similar models sell for on ebay yet. I imagine it's weight is largely glass so has no value as scrap metal. I'm thinking of taking it to the electrical skip at the tip unless you can advise me any different?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Freecycle it

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I love my ceramic hob, which I got for nothing. Are you really sure you want an induction hob? I understand that induction hobs generate a large magnetic field, which is a bad thing for watches and pacemakers etc.

lang=en

It is not currently known whether magnetic magnetic fields originating from induction hobs represent a health risk. These magnetic fields can be reduced by correct use of the induction hob. The following tips will help you to get the best results:

Use the right size of cookware for the size of the cooking zone; don't put a small pan on a large zone, but use a pan that covers the cooking zone completely. Always place the pan in the middle of the cooking zone.

Don?t use damaged pans with buckled or rounded bases, even if they can still be heated without difficulty.

Persons standing close to the hob or who touch the worktop with their body during cooking are advised to use the rear cooking fields, or the front cooking fields at reduced power.

It is vital to use specially manufactured pans to ensure that energy is transmitted efficiently from the hob to the pan. They are labelled by the manufacturer as suitable for induction cooking. The best pans to use are the ones supplied with the hob.

Exposure to magnetic fields can be reduced greatly by keeping a distance of 5-10 cm between your body and the hob.

Don?t use metal cooking spoons to prevent leakage current from flowing through your body.

People with a cardiac pacemaker or an implanted defibrillator should talk to their doctor before using an induction hob.

Reply to
MattyF

A mixture of complete crap and some truths.

If I had to use the pans supplied with the hob, I'd never be able to cook anything! Does anyone get pans supplied?

In my book, induction is massively better than other electric hobs - and than gas in many ways.

Reply to
polygonum

e hob.

When choosing a one about six or seven years ago at least one manufacturer was offering a set with a purchase,may have been De Dietrich but I may be mistaken.

Certainly better IMHO than electric hobs of other kinds, Not so sure about gas as it is years since we lived near a gas main and had a gas hob. Sister has just replaced a gas hob with an induction one, cooking wise she has not found it a huge leap foward but does think the quick cool down of the surface is beneficial in a small kitchen as things can be placed on it so releasing some space on the worktop,and it is a lot easier to keep clean.

G,Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I appreciate several aspects over gas:

Less heat going up the sides - so cooler pan handles, cooler kitchen!

As you say, very much easier to keep clean - and I have not been impressed by some of the part-glass gas hobs I have seen.

Better control over the entire range whilst heating evenly. I find gas tends to concentrate its heat delivery in some areas. And some rings really won't go as low as I sometimes need.

However, I do think that gas might be better for some things like omelets!

Reply to
polygonum