Ceramic Glass Hob - Repair

Something got dropped onto our ceramic glass hob and chipped the edge, which then cracked diagonally across the corner, about 20mm in. The damage is well clear of the heating area, so the problem is mainly cosmetic (not that "the boss" would agree).

I was wondering if the stuff they use to repair chips in car windscreens would work, to stick the corner back on then fill the chipped bit. The corner bit would be fully supported by the work top, and can be glued to it. Is this stuff available anywhere, or is there a better alternative (excluding a new hob of course)?

Grateful for any ideas. David.

Reply to
DavidM

Araldite

George

Wouldn't exactly call it a repair, but presumably to minimise the visibility of the crack you want something of the same refractive index as the ceramic to fill with. Presumably that is what the windscreen repairers do. In microscope work 'friars' balsam' resin solution was the preferred fixative for glass slides and compound lenses. It might be worth experimenting with some, though you would be advised to secure the join from below as well, if there is room to slide in a patch, whatever adhesive or filler you use.

spamlet