Ceramic floor tiles

I propose laying ceramic floor tiles in a downstairs toilet. My initial plan was to cut the tiles around the pan, but someone has suggested that it would be better to remove the pan; lay the tiles and refit the pan on top of the tiles.

There is a fair amount of fiddling about in both options, but which is best? I am concerned about drilling holes in the tiles to secure the pan if it goes on top of the tiles; and would the fixing screws be long enough?

Any thoughts welcome!!

Roger C

Reply to
Roger

Sounds a good idea. Unless your pan is old and not attached by a flexible enough fitting.

Use 2 longer screws?

Yes, that's what should be done. Fitting tiles around the pedestal not only looks awful but it also prevents you from changing the pan in the future without a rework of the tiles.

There are special tile drills on the market.

You will need long screws. Also, make sure that you get some special plastic fixing cups for the heads of the screws. This is to spread the load and to prevent the pan from being cracked.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I cut round mine because I just knew it would leak for ever more if I disturbed the seals, as did the upstairs one. I'm lucky like that. Then there's the fact that I'd have to drain the cistern in order to cut the pipe shorter, with even more leakage potential...

Longer screws, innit?

I'd get me an electric tile cutter and go round it; you're disturbing nothing that way.

'Course, it depends on how posh your downstairs loo is and how many people will inspect your tile cutting, although once it's grouted up you'd be hard pushed to even notice which method was used.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Further to my reply, just sent, Andy made a good point about future pan-changing.

So, to sum up... whatever.

HTH

I'll be off now.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Apart from the very obvious line around the pedestal.

Reply to
Andy Hall

People can be too anal these days ;)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Use silicone to hold the pan down and forget the screws.

After struggling with several - can't GET long enough ones! - I followed the groups advice, siliconed the next one down and filled the holes with white silicone

Best fitted bog in the whole house! Rock solid.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher