Ceramic "disc" tap dripping.

The taps in the kitchen were replaced a few years ago for ones with discs in. Now I thought one of the pros of using disc taps was that there was no washer to perish so the tap would never drip. Unfortunately the Hot tap (so not subjected to mains pressure) drips, is this a D-I-Y job to repair (does have an isolating valve in the water supply) or should I ask the landlord to get a plumber in? Rented property so not wanting to replace the tap my self.

Reply to
soup

About all you can do is make sure its clean. Unless you replace the cartridge - £15-£20 pair.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hard water area? Take it to bits and soak it in descaler. Agitate with an old toothbrush - ensure it is really clean. Put it back together. Job done.

As you say they are not supposed to require maintenance as the cermaic does not "wear out" or degrade like rubber does over time. However limescale can still form which will prevent the tap from closing properly.

I couldn't find replacement cartridges for mine, so tried the above. Worked fine.

Luke

Reply to
Wingedcat

Our hot tap closes off okay, but then starts to drip a few minutes later - turning it further stops it until the next time it is used. I can only conclude that once shut-off, the tap cools and something contracts, so slightly opening it.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Except that they do

There is a plumbers merchant near me which has five or six ceramic cartridges, a photo and some dimensions, and I can nip in and see if they have something compatible for you

Reply to
geoff

Sorry to say that my experience is that ceramic are just as bad as seat&washer taps. They may last longer before they drip, but once they start the only option is to replace the cartridge. The problem is that they are usually fitted by some oik in a factory with an air weapon, so you can't get them out without some enormous force, damaging the tap.

I rather like seat&washer, you can usually re-cut the seat (needs the proper tool) and fit a new washer for pennies.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Agreed, I change lots of them. Never had trouble getting them out though.

Me too. Simple, easy & cheap to repair. It couldn't last, somebody had to improve things.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yup they certainly do..

The larger B&Q's have started to stock a range now. Failing that try

Crap & annoying web site, but a big range.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Not supposed to be (Balerno:Edinburgh:Scotland: Two miles from the reservoir), and nothing else has ever "furred up".

Reply to
soup

Yes, I got conned the same way years ago. I'd go for washers in future. Apparently, they can be damaged by bits of 'grit' in the water. For example when the water company have done repairs.

I've had to replace both carts on my kitchen Frankie taps. What was really annoying is they had a 5 year guarantee and the first one failed after 3 - but I fixed it before realising. It was REALLY difficult to get the cart out - had to use use a vice, blow torch etc.. to loosen the part that needed replacing.

Reply to
pjlusenet

I would hesitate to do that (lack of knowledge; was I doing it wrong or did it really need that much force) I MIGHT have had a go if it was my own but as this is a rented property...

Reply to
soup

Me too. When the ceramic disk tap in my kitchen failed a couple of weeks ago, I replaced it with one that uses standard washers, about £40 from Screwfix.

Reply to
Huge