Ceramic cartridge replacement

Bloody ceramic cartridge tap started leaking at 5 this afternoon, just after the shops have shut. I took the cartridge out to have a look, and it leaked even more (after reinserting it).

What surprised me is how well an old fashioned tap head works as a stop gap until I can get a new cartridge. It works perfectly. It just looks a bit odd. Is that the case with all ceramic taps that have two handles?

Reply to
GB
[...]

No, you want a moving coil cartridge, M8.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I frequently use an old tap head as a blanking plug while I drive to the merchants to match up the cartridge.

Reply to
David Lang

Good to know that I have reinvented the wheel. I just assumed that when the new taps came along everything would be new. New threads, etc. But, nope!

My eyesight is too poor to measure up the old cartridge to the nearest 1 mm. And counting the bleeding splines!

Reply to
GB

Moving magnet is better Ortofon 2M

Reply to
rick

I take mine to a local plumbers merchants & let them do it!

Reply to
David Lang

It might not be the cartridge, but the tap seat.

If you transpose the cartridges Hot vs Cold and the leak stays on the same side, it's probably the seat. Some PTFE tape wrapped round the end of the cartridge may be enough to sort it, at least temporarily.

Tap Magician (website / Amazon / Ebay) can probably match it and if you can't see it clearly enough try taking close-up photographs and email them.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Variable reluctance works very well too. ADC XLM.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

:-) That also occurred to me.

Decca Deram wasn't it?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

ffss surely

Reply to
charles

I swear by Goldring.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

That one has unusually high compliance though! :)

Reply to
pamela

That's very true but in spite of that, the amount of vibration from the high level 300Hz tracking test tone reaching the base plate of the SME

3009 MK2 with FD add on was surprisingly high (I had it mounted using the rubber grommets which allowed me to feel the vibration with my finger bridging the small gap).

I can't remember whether I followed my instinct to sog the mounting screws down nice and tight to get rid of this 'rubbery' linkage to the arm mounting board to eliminate LF intermodulation - damping is usually a "Good Thing", but only if it is properly applied. In this case, I suspected this wasn't true.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

I never liked the Goldring kit. Nice deck but atrocious arm & unimpressive cartridge. Was more a fan of Sure & the better Duals.

But an odd thing occurred. Ceramics always had a bad rep, but when looking for a budget dj cart I tried a then modern ceramic, and found it just as go od as most magnetics. So they did finally perfect ceramics, after their rep utation had completely killed them off in all but lo-fis.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

FFRR, full frequency range recording, was Decca's postwar technology with a frequency response of 80Hz - 15kHz. This was considered hifi at the time. I wonder what 78s sounded like when new, I've only ever heard them decades old, where frequency response is rather down the list of issues.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

No The Decca ffss was a magnetic cartridge and tone arm combination. I had mine in conjunction with a Garrard 301 turntable (bought in 1961). Look at Wikipedia if you don't believe me.

Reply to
charles

The G800 was not a bad budget cartridge. And could be upgraded by simply changing the stylus assembly.

It was extensively used by the BBC.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The FFSS stood for full frequency sterophonic sound. The FFSS pickup was basically a mono one with a second coil added - rather than the more usual

45 degree types which came later. So the device produced M&S rather than L&R. But was connected to provide L&R.

It was in essence a scaled down version of a pre-WW2 EMI pickup.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I didn't comment on ffss. FFRR is what Decca are most famous for.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It looked as thought you were telling me that I was wrong with ffss - it should have been FFRR.

Reply to
charles