Ceramic basin - punch out tap hole

Going to order a new basin which comes with 3 potential punch-out tapholes. I will have to make the hole. It's been suggested that I drill a small central hole then chip it out to the full diameter.
Any other thoughts?
Toby.

Mke a clip and put it on some webspace so we can all see as the basin disintegrates in to several pieces :-)) Stuart ---------
Remove YOURPANTS before E-mailing Me

My thoughts exactly. But they call them 'punch out' holes, certainly don't think one shot with a club hammer will be a good idea. It's wierd: cheap basin = holes ready made / expensive basin = hole needs to be removed. Now there's a huge price differential, buy with dealer to do it for you big bucks / buy from box shifter & diy = big saving. Drilling the little hole shouldn't be a problem, chipping it out gives me nightmares, I can imagine a large glazed chip about 3" parting company with the surface.
Grit edged holesaw? Surely someone must have done this before.
Toby.
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 16:30:51 +0100, "Toby"

Have two sinks like this, and my builder's plumber wanted assurances that we would not hold him liable if he broke anything. Happily he managed it, although the one upstairs has a chip that you can just see under the tap. No idea what he did as it was all done when I was at work.
And yes, they were more expensive sinks :-)
Regards,
Colin Swan Nildram Operations
I don't think you have any chance mate. I'm not too proud to admit I did actually attempt to do this many years ago (I was young!). Just getting through the porcelain was a mission. All you will end up with is a trip to the tip to dump a half mashed basin.