Central heating upgrade

We are fortunate enough to have original suspended timber floors downstairs which we are planning to preserve. The intention is to lift them carefully, try and pack out the sunken sleeper bearers, and insulate between the joists with something like 75mm Celotex cut to size. I am still considering what the best place is to seal up any remaining cracks.

There's a Ventaxia thing called "AirMinder" which seems to be designed to replace the of the bathroom and kitchen mechanical extraction that we'd have installed anyway. But it's about 1500 UKP!

Reply to
Jim

I'd take advice about that. It's normal to have airflow around timber - stopping it is a recipe for rot.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Please eff off, you are a total plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

He is talking out of his botty as usual.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Nonsense. An air-tight house with superinsulation and a Heat Recovery & Vent unit will be near, or, heat free.

Got that right.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

AIUI the celotex is meant to rest between the joists on nails or battens and it is common practice to seal the celotex to the joist with expanding foam or similar. There is airflow through the void underneath the joists (now we've unblocked some air bricks) so they shouldn't rot.

Reply to
Jim

That hardly describes our house, I'm afraid. It's a very traditionally built 1920s cottage and there are many thermal features which we'd find it difficult to alter.

Reply to
Jim

Usual response noted. Which of course just means you don't understand what you've posted. Nothing new there.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Matter? When the gas bill comes in.

What figures have you got to prove this?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Please eff off, you are a total plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Isn't it about time you went back into residential treatment - like the recent long gap in your postings? And this time don't come out until you're cured.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

The question was:

What is the return temperature required to achieve maximum recovery of the latent heat?

A serious question answered by a seriously deranged nutcase.

Dribble (in one of his earlier incarnations) was briefly famous (or should that be infamous) for asking the question "What is latent heat?" Seems the explanation he was offered never sunk in hence his reluctance to be drawn on this point without an extract from a sales brochure to guide him. And the answer is not likely found in any sales literature as it is not a positive aspect of condensing boilers.

Reply to
Roger

It's no surprise. Everything he spouts about is a result of just reading adverts and specs. etc. Not a practical bone in his body.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Please eff off, you are a total plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You are a total plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Please eff off, you are a total plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The message from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

I wonder how many extra points Dribble would need on his IQ before he became intelligent enough to appreciate that his favourite response is compelling evidence that he is a moronic nutcase, not a tortured genius.

Reply to
Roger

You are a total plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Yes, Roger does babble drivel. 80% of all debt is mortgages. Just to put a roof over our heads.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

you dont say what you mean by 'it' there. I think anyone would know that air blown across the ends of a wide tube causes turbulence in the tube, and the resulting churning causes slow exchange of internal with external air. If you dont... I dunno.

NT

Reply to
NT