Central heating thermostat replacement - help needed!

Our central heating thermostat went kaput. It is a simple Honeywell T40 and it is a "two-wire" item.

I couldn't get a direct replacement so chose a Siemens RAA20 which is also a "two-wire" item.

So far, so good. But on opening up the broken Honeywell, while the wiring diagram inside the cover shows two incoming wires, L and N, the wire from the controller has *four* cores and they are all connected.

Green/yellow goes to earth terminal (E). Blue goes to neutral terminal (2). Yellow goes to terminal 3. Red goes to live terminal 1.

So I thought to myself, how can this be a "two-wire" item?

Just to complicate matters, the replacement Siemens RAA20 is also described as a "two-wire" item, but it has *three* terminals. L is clearly live, but there are two other terminals Y1 and Y2.

Now I am totally confused. Can anyone please tell me which of the four original wires (red, blue, yellow/green and yellow) goes to which of the three terminals of the "two-wire" Siemens RAA20?

Please help! It's getting cold in here!

Reply to
Tony Polson

Siemens RAA20 wiring diagram is at:

Tony Polson

And the Honeywell wring diagram (it is a T6360B not a T40) is at:

Tony Polson

You might need to do a little self help until someone with the specific answer comes along but this is what's happenning. The neutral is sort of "optional" just helps the stat work better, the earth is self explanatory, one of the wires (U test) is a live or timed live and the one that's left is the stat switched live to the boiler. Guessing that Y1 and Y2 might be NO and/or NC contacts. You want NO.

HTH

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

OK, posted already but first post isn't showing yet. Got the data sheet now, L is Live obviously or hopefully your timed live. Y1 is the switched(timed) live back to the boiler, Y2 is for cooling, leave unconnected. This stat doesn't need a neutral.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

hopefully you have worked it out already, Honeywell (1) is Siemens (L), Honeywell (3) is Siemens (Y1), .....err thats it. see just 2 wires.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

Many thanks, Jim.

I followed your suggestions and it works fine. Thanks again.

Reply to
Tony Polson