Central Heating Systems

For a 'Hydraflow' cylinder, 125L at 60C :

it quotes 1.9kWh/24h, say 2.25kWh with the boiler at 80% efficiency, giving 775kWh/yr.

Though up to half of the year the lost heat could be counted towards normal heating, so coming out at 387kWh year.

Still I wouldn't say it was minimal, as a good fridge runs to about

150kWh/yr and dishwasher as low as 237kWh/yr.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Hmm. Altering quotes and more 'snip drivel'

Wonder who his next ISP will be?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When you factor in the low cost of the gas it becomes less significant. My electricity costs 5 times that of my gas.

Reply to
fred

If you are filling a bath, yes. But people here are saying that the output of a 24kW combi is totally inadequate from which one might infer that they are looking for the equivalent of twice this. If I can do the sums, 1kW delivers 858 litre-degrees per hour. Assume water coming in at 5C and out at 42C, 37C rise so

1kW delivers 23 litres per hour, 48kW 1110 litres/hour or 18.5 litres per minute. Even if you have your 75 litre cylinder at (say) 65C (which then means that a condensing boiler is being run below max efficiency) after about 6 minutes your stored hot water is gone and the maximum delivery will depend on (a) the boiler output; and (b) the ability of the cylinder coil to transfer the heat.

So get this shower performance in an average house you either need a very large cylinder or a grossly oversized (for most houses) boiler. Unless I'm missing something .....

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Also remember that if the cylinder is within the body of the house, this heat isn't totally wasted during the times of the year where heating is needed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What you have to remember is John lives in a world where baths are half the normal size that people would choose, and showers are more than adequate at dog pee flow and temperature. He also lives in a world where better than 100% efficiency is the norm, and sees no contradiction in that term.

If you look further, he always quotes maker's advertising as backup to his views. Others measure their usage and quote from experience.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

....he retorted...well I snipped it as it was as usual total inane babble. ... Sad but true...

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

If a 75 litre cylinder is exhausted after 6 mins a boiler and quick recovery coil can replenish at 10 litres min while being emptied. So in that 6 mins @ 60 litres plus 75 litres. So that means a normal bath will be filled no problem. It is not a matter of debate. It just happens.

I think you lost the thread a little. I gave an example of the know-it-alls giving bad advise re: downsizing cylinders. Paul Barker says as 24Kw combi is more than fine for a shower.

Grossly oversized boiler? We are coming to the one size fits all, around

24kW, using modulation. Aks anyone who has a combi in a flat. The rads are hot within a few minutes, a great bonus, then it throttles back. You can get a combi for £350 and not use the DHW section. Ravenheat encourage this. Many installers do this as combi's are cost effective due to mass take up and manufacturing.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

........at it again he is.....yes he is nice people....If the cylinder cupboard is below the loft much of the heat goes into the loft....obvious we all know...but DIYing caber making is a very different task...

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

I'm not arguing re baths. *If* you are of the view that a proper shower needs 18 or so litres per minute (q.v. an ordinary combi is totally unequal to the task: not my personal view) then you need to be able to reheat water at this rate or have enough storage. On your numbers said shower will start running cold after 8-9 minutes.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Yet again showing your lack of knowledge about real world design of anything? Just why would you have a cylinder cupboard open to the loft?

Perhaps you have large holes all over your house. Like in your arguments?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I doubt most would want - or more likey need - to be in a shower with a decent flow for 10 minutes or so.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What, you mean "below the loft" as distinct from "sitting in the garden"?

Every room in the house is below the loft you prat.

Reply to
Nick Atty

For cod's sake! I don't _take_ your opinions I _evaluate_ them.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

cylinder

loft....obvious we

Not if the cupboard ceiling is insulated, you total oaf, most would call it an airing cupboard.....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

And the result is zero?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That's enough for two.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

cylinder

...and yet another starnge one enter the ring. Saying..

.....you don't say.....what about the dormer room at one end? Or the room that stores all the cabers? Cor...sirry irriot...

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

...and if you had sense you take them up.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

......another here. It depends on how good the insulation is....he couldn't figure this out....

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil