Central Heating System

Page 1 of 2
Is it safe whilst leaving my house unattended to 1) Leave the Combi-boiler on (to avoid frozen pipes) 2) Turn the water mains off (in case my pipes leak, etc.)

Yes. Just leave the system on 24 hours and set the thermostat to a lower temperature.

Good thing to do.

I would consider fitting a frost stat, and turn the CH off.
If the temperature plummets below the setting of the frost stat it will override the CH setting and turn the system on, to raise the temperature by a few degrees.
This can be better than leaving the CH on as you would typically set it to come on/go off on a timer - if the temperature plummeted outside of the timed "on" period(s) then the system will have to cope until the next on period.
Not so with the frost stat.
PoP

A frost stat is a fail safe mechanism in that is brings on the CH even if the time clocks are off. It is best to have the system set to 12C. Below 10C the furnishings can start to be effected with cold and damp.

The IMM misinformation machine in overdrive...
--
*Could it be that "I do " is the longest sentence? *

"Dave Plowman" wrote | IMM wrote: | > Below 10C the furnishings can start to be effected with cold and damp. | The IMM misinformation machine in overdrive...
I had a previous computer keyboard that refused to work in the mornings until I'd got the temperature in the lounge up to about 15-16C.
Mind you, I was a bit sluggish at those temperatures too.
Owain

In commercial offices 15C is the low limit, when unoccupied. When I am away I always tend to leave the heating around 15C.

Well, yes, but then the house isn't unoccupied.
--
*If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving.*

Owain wrote:

The most tellin exapmples of temperature sensitivity I came across were in pretty much teh forts and last bits of hardware I ever built.
The first one was a kit radio reciever. It stopped working in teh sun. It tokk me about 4 more years to understand why, and realise that at teh tender age f 16, I was now a better designer than teh bloke who designed that one..
..the last was in a sqweaty basement of a computer manufacturing company, with an 8088 in circuit emulator. It used to start to show crap about lunchtime. I remembered my early exoeriences, and we read teh fine prnt on the case 'operating range 0-25 degreec C ambient).
We begged a thermometer off the hardware boys, and stuck it on the case. Sure enough, and 26 degrees, it packed up,.
We got our air conditioning after that..
Most consumer electronics is good for 0-50C. LCD's pack up under heat, but reciver.
Howbver the reality of teh cxomplexcity of digital design often means that the odd sample board with tolerances all the wrong way will not do the full temp range, even tho every component will, to its spec. Only mil spec equipment is designed so that it works with EVERY component at WORST case.
with commercial eqpt, its a design so that 99% will work in average user conditions, and replace the other 1% under warranty. Cheaper.
writes

You've been attending the IMM skul of speling, haven't you
--
geoff

damp.
I do it to confuse him,. I have succeeded.

writes

Really ?

affected
--
geoff

Yes. It overrides everything as long as power is on. Provided it is implemented properly.

writes

And they never fail ?
--
geoff

outside
All things mechanical can fail. It would also fail if an earthquake ruptured all the district too and a typhoon followed up ripped all the roofs off.

writes

So you didn't really mean "A frost stat is a fail safe mechanism" then
--
geoff

roofs
For 99.99999999% of the time ir is.

writes

So it's not - and stop calling me iris
--
geoff

is
It is.

OK Maxie.

The OP was concerned about protecting against pipe rupture if the pipes froze. The actual setting of the frost stat isn't particularly important here, so long as it is on the positive side of zero degrees.
I've always worked on the principle of a frost stat being set to about 5C for protecting pipework. Nowt wrong with 12C, though the boiler might be burning more often than is strictly necessary.
PoP