Central Heating Service

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Victor Meldrew saying something like:

Hey, you're living up to your name, you grumpy old bastard.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "R Gower" saying something like:

Tell that to the relatives of CO-poisoning victims.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Boiler. noun. An unattractive woman. Often phrased as an old boiler for added derogatory emphasis.

Google for Jo Brand:-)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Name the others.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

If that's the model I think it is that last one I saw was so sooted up I was surprised the owners were still alive.

Tell me you've at least got an electronic CO alarm at a suitable position in the room to warn you when lack of cleaning eventually catches up with the beast and it starts spewing out CO into the room?

Open/conventional-flued boilers are the one type I really do recommend really servicing annually or thereabouts.

Reply to
YAPH

Measure the CO divided by CO2, and if less than 0.004, they deem it OK as far as combustion is concerned. I don't know for sure, but I suspect they at least do a visual check for corrosion of the case, and a visual check on any case seals which can be seen without opening it.

Buying and running a flue gas analyser isn't cheap. (covered this in a recent thread).

There are other parts of the system which should be serviced too, such as flushing and replacing the inhibitor occasionally (just how frequently depends if it's vented or sealed, and for sealed, how often you top it up).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Alright, "Adam is the only sex maniac in the village"

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yes, two in fact, one being digital. They get regular tests and battery changes; I'm no fan of CO either.

We're dithering about getting a new boiler. The Baxi BBU might be a candidate, but I'd like a 'normal' DHW tank so it might not be suitable.

The only other practical place is in the (rather narrow) airing cupboard, and I doubt if there would be enough room for a DHW tank as well - and one would have to be mounted above the other.

Reply to
Terry Fields

You're in the wrong newsgroup. The one you need is called:

uk.don't-do-anything-at-all-until-it-breaks.

Reply to
Bruce