Central Heating Question

Ok I have had a good look around, and I cannot find the answer, so I am hoping someone here can help.

I have a radiator in the dining room, currently it has a twin entry valve, this valve is leaking, I have shut it off for now but I will have to replace it, extending one leg to the far end of the radiator, and fitting a TRV. This radiator is fed from a manifold upstairs, and I am not sure where exactly, and I would rather not have to lift carpets etc to find it.

But at the same time I replace the valve, I want to add another radiator on the other side of the wall in the living room, and want to know if the 10mm copper pipe will supply enough heat.

What is the heat capacity of 10mm copper pipe?

thanks

Vernon

Reply to
Vernon

In my view the limit on pipe diameter is that you don't want the flow velocity to be more than about 1 m/s so that the system is quiet. A

10mm pipe carries 0.080 kg/sec at 1 m/s (dropping pressure at 1,500 Pa/ m)
You need about 0.100 kg/s for 4kWatt of radiator.

So, I'd say, if your two rads add up to less than 4kw in total you'll be OK.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Robert, Thanks for that, I will have to check, the radiator in the dining room is 700x1600 double panel but no convectors. Not sure what the output is, but got to be close to 2.5kw?

Reply to
Vernon

The rule of thumb I use for double unfinned rads is 2170 watts/M^2 at dT=60 - which would give about 2.4kW (or less at a lower dT value).

Reply to
Roger Mills